Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coal in an Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched but couldn't find an answer. Can you burn hard coal - that is, anthracite - in a BGE? Does anyone know where to buy it?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    ive lit the egg with it, but its too sooty to cook over.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    Marc wrote:
    I've searched but couldn't find an answer. Can you burn hard coal - that is, anthracite - in a BGE? Does anyone know where to buy it?[p]Thanks.

Why would you want too?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive actually thought of adding a piece during a high temp pizza cook to see if it added any flavor similar to smoking woods. the origional newyork style pizza was cooked in coal ovens, just a different design of oven
    fukahwee maine

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    My wife bought some briquettes from Dollar General for me to use on my Weber Grill. Reading the bag I saw that it was made in China. I used it and the ash was the dirtiest, blackest and sootiest I've ever seen. One cook was enough.
  • Mocamarc
    Mocamarc Posts: 20
    Options
    Looking to bake pizza, and I though coal would burn longer and hotter. I currently have the pizza stone turned upside down as a heat defuser, have the grill placed on top of that and a thick, round 16-inch pizza stone on top of that.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    for some reason, people jump all over the thought of using coal in the egg. but it's been used to cook over for thousands of years. we had an old coal-fired six-burner stove built in the 1880s.

i'm sure you could, just don't know what the benefit would be. i'd imagine that lighter wood lump would burn hotter (for searing, etc.). fishless burns coal to heat his place, and i think he says the ash output is huge. ash isn't good in the egg.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    be careful with real high temp prolonged burns, the spring band grows with thermal expansion and the dome will become loose and may fall out. ive done a few pizza cooks between 900 and 1100 degrees and it gets a little scary with the dome loosening. if you ping charwoody over on the primo forum he will show you pics of clips he devised to hold the dome on, im not going to go that high again until i put some on.
    fukahwee maine

• Mocamarc
    Options
    Since the best pizza kitchens use coal-fired ovens and that my application would be baking and not grilling, coal might be worth exploring.

My only concern was 1) would the high heat be bad for the BGE and 2) where to buy the stuff in metro Atlanta.

I've gotten the BGE too hot for my pizza with lump charcoal. I'm thinking that I can maintain a moderately high temperature for a lot longer with coal. I go through too many bags of charcoal when making pizza.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I am with the group that questions the value of using coal.

The direct fired (wood) ovens I have seen were different than a BGE. Basically there was a fire on the hearth to heat it and the oven and then the fire was swept to the back of the oven to keep things hot. Certainly the things being cooked were exposed to the products of combustion, but not the same way as they are in a BGE, where all the combustion products flow directly over the food being cooked.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    you need to change to a different setup if its too hot for pizza. i fill this tank end with sand and place the pizza stone down into the sand for cooking. a blue flame rolls up the outside edges and hovers above the pizza at 1100 degrees F. 53 seconds and its done, spinning the pie halfway thru the cook as the back side really is hotter than that. from what i remember about the origional coal stoves the pie isnt placed directly in the coal fumes and soot, if you look at my yard in winter there is ash everywhere on top of the snow, coal has a tremendous amt of ash, i caryy 4 tons into the house a year, and it must be 3 tons of ash back out to dispose of. you would also need a different style grate to burn coal on as well. like i said though, watch those band, they get real loose.

100_1527.jpg

100_1536.jpg

100_1535.jpg

the egg handles the heat, the firebox and ring doesnt, this is a nine piece firebox reassembled and still cooking. the high heat makes them whiter than new

100_1543.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Anthony
    Anthony Posts: 40
    Options
    Fishlessman - can you post more pics of your setup maybe in action? Do you use the egg for anything else now or just this setup for pizza?

Thanks,

Anthony
  • Mocamarc
    Options
    I like it! You obviously fabricated the metalwork. Not sure what you mean by "sand."

But that it the key for perfect pizza: high heat for short baking times. I can only do OK pizza in under 5 minutes with my basically stock setup.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    only other pic i have is this one of the setup, i use a spider upsidown to hold it higher and closer to the dome. the head gets filled with sand, then the stone sits in the sand. the upper dome gets hotter than the stone with this setup, something ive never seen with anyother setup. notice that there is nolonger a gasket on this egg, it still does low and slows well even without a gasket. i cant stress enough to watch the bands at high heat, the dome will fall out and you best not try and catch it, it will be extremely hot and you will get burned, take precautions
    fukahwee maine

• Mocamarc
    Options
    Yeah, I keep burning up my gaskets and I'm not even doing the hardcore setup you have.

So I guess the short answer is don't do coal.

Don't suppose you've seen this guy's site.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/jvpizza/

He rigged his kitchen range to cook at the self-clean cycle.
  • Anthony
    Anthony Posts: 40
    Options
    Hello Fishlessman,

Do you have a specific dough recipe for the high heat? I have read Jeff's sight on the link above in the past and he makes a dough with higher than normal moisture content. It almost looks like a think batter.

Anthony
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Marc,
    need coal? i live in the coal region....it's everywhere... ne pa....i asked the same question and got scorned and ridiculed...one of these days... i'm going to try it..alot of folks use it as a heat source here.... i have fond memories of making toast(from homemade bread baked in coal stove's oven or in the outside wood fired bake oven) over the open fire of grandma's coal stove..thanks for reminding me to try it....my cast iron grate burned out on my egg....(i'm presently using a piece of stainless salvaged from an old farberware pot) i'm going to make a new one from a stainless beer barrel(nice and thick).... it think that would be the weak point in burning anthracite.... the factory grate won't last long...

• fishlessman
    Options
    i bought a scale recently to try different recipes, but have just been using store bought.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i went from factory grate to expanded metal to this inconel one. should last a lifetime, but its probably worth a couple hundred dollars the way prices have increased in the last year.

100_1071.jpg

100_1479.jpg

100_1481.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Marc,
    The BGE was designed to burn lump WOOD charcoal.
    Max burn temp for lump is between 1100 and 1400 degrees f.
    Coal burns at about 3500 degrees f.
    What do you think?

• Mocamarc
    Options
    Michael B wrote:
    Marc,
    The BGE was designed to burn lump WOOD charcoal.
    Max burn temp for lump is between 1100 and 1400 degrees f.
    Coal burns at about 3500 degrees f.
    What do you think?

Well, I [ul]think[/ul] you definitely answered my question. Thanks. But if I limit the amount of coal and keep the damper openings at a proper setting, wouldn't it be possible to keep a consistent 650 - 700 degrees?

I have my BGE in a wood cart, so any higher temps would set it on fire.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think you would have to force air in it to hit 3500 degrees, my coal stove runs around 500 degrees. i dont let it get anyhotter
    fukahwee maine

• Mocamarc
    Options
    To answer a previous question about pizza dough recipes, Jeff's recipe should work fine. Once you've let it cold rise and work it with more flour into a crust for baking, it'll be great. If your heat is hot enough and you can get the kind of circulation necessary in the BGE, you should be able to get a pizza cooked nicely in less than 2 minutes.

I use a wet dough as well, but only cook at about 600 degrees. Very good, but not the real deal that you'd get with a hotter temp.