Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Wife got me a Mini BGE for Easter! Question too

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggheads,
My wife suprised me with a Mini BGE for Easter.... what a Suprise!!! I thought I wouldn't get one after I got a small BGE to compliment my Large. I didn't use it this weekend as the dome Temp gauge was missing... no biggie. Anyway, I plan to use it this next weekend at the lake with some friends. I probably will do some Hebrew National Hot Dogs on it for the first Cook. If you have a mini I would like to hear about some of your cooks on it. Also, I was wondering about Carrying it in the Mini-van... is there any special way to tranport it. Also, How long does it take for it to cool off after a cook so I can put it back in a van. I want to be safe. Thanks in advance.
~Pharmeggist

Comments

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    congratulations. the mini might be my favorite of the eggs. it certainly seems to be and underrated and under- appreciated egg.

check out this link for an easy do it yourself carrier for the mini. this can be made in a short afternoon.
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/225943.htm

check out this site for some ideas on setup and cooks with your mini. look for CHICKEN MEETS MINI ! ; MONKEY BREAD MEETS THE MINI! ; and LOBSTER TAILS MEET MINI !
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/39.htm

if you have any questions, let me know. also "bill" posts a lot re his mini cooks.

by the way, if you need to cool the mini down quickly, empty the lump after your cook (it's pretty easy considering the size of the mini) and you should have an egg cool enough to put in your car within 30 minutes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    citichecken,

I have a large, mostly there is my wife and I. Would you get a mini or small?

GG
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    i have two large and the mini. with the two large eggs i can cook everything and anything my heart desires. i know most people here will suggest to you that you should get the small to complement your large, and i suppose that's sage advice for most eggers. but here is the thing, you really should do a needs analysis for yourself.

i happened to get the mini instead of the small 'cause i'm not married and most frequently i am searing some tuna or other type of fish, or a nice new york strip just for me. so for me the mini is a perfect addition.

as i said, the mini is a versatile cooker. it never surprises me what i can cook on it (follow the links in my previous post). i have a raised grid and an indirect setup extending the versatility of the mini. however, for some it may not be the most practical purchase as a secondary duty egg. the mini really is a novelty item. just like owning a motorcycle if you live in alaska.

there aren't any ready made accessories as you would expect with any of the larger eggs. you can indeed cook an entire chicken on the mini, for example, but it's a challenge and the finished product won't be as good as if cooked on one of the larger eggs. you should like to "tinker"

for camping or tailgating , i think hands down it could be a winner for two people. it's light, very portable, and can cook anything that you may want before a game or race. keep in mind, i wouldn't be thinking of doing two butts while tailgating and i'm usually not looking to feed an entire team either.

it really is a two person egg at the most. but it will do six costco sized polish dogs at one time, an entire pork tenderloin, two new york strip steaks, 6-8 chicken thighs and much more..

if you would like to discuss this in more detail email me or we can talk on the phone.

hey thanks for all of your posts on special deals. keep them coming. i've already got a great food processor and some knives. i love a deal.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks,

Every time I go and look at the small and mini, I just laugh to myself. They are so small.

I come back and read the posts and then go back and look, shake my head and then back to the forum.

Grandpas Grub.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Thanks for the info.... I looked at both the links you posted. Great stuff! Since I probably Won't have time to build a carrier I was thinking about using a laundry basket and placing the Mini in it and securing it in a nest of Bath Towels during transportation. Do I need to take out the Fire box and ring or should I be ok if I use my method. Thanks again, Pharmeggist
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hehe..get ONE of them!!..they do look so small after looking at a large all the time..but I am TOTALLY satisfied with my smail..I fired it up twice today..once around mid day to do some quick quesadillas while watching some of the baskeball games..and again later in the evening..I was the only one that wanted a baked tater and since my large was nuking some steaks and romaine..i fired up the small for one baked potato...heh .. :woohoo:
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I haven't used the mini Yet... but the small has been a wonderful compliment to my Large egg. If I could only have one egg it would be the large. If I could only have two it would be the large and small combo. The mini was something I wanted to play with mainly for camping and spending a day at some nearby state parks. I could have hauled the small but my wife suprised me with the mini. I guess my Bride likes Hot dogs and burgers for picnics :laugh: I am one lucky man ;) I do plan to use the mini for more than the above when I have some time and maybe even do the lobster or monkey bread too after seeing the links.

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Pharmeggist:

Congrats on the Easter Egg :laugh:! If you are interested in the dimensions for the carrier that citychicken linked to in his reply, then feel free to email me and I send them to you.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    A large boat tote bag http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=boat-and-tote-guide&categoryId=8889&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1
    works just fine. I took my mini to a canvas shop and they custom built a green canvas bag for me. It zips up and holds everything in place.

I don't know how to post pics but I could e-mail you one if you'd like to see it.

Julie
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Maybe, I'll go looking again today.

Kent
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    You have got e-mail :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I sent you an e=mail :cheer:
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    You can roll a rack of ribs and do ribs. They don't look as pretty, but taste good.

If you want the meat portion of pulled pork and are willin to play a little. It will do 4lbs in about 6-8 hrs, without having to do an overnight. To get to 225 I stop it on the way up at 225 usually only open bottom vent 1/4 of inch and top covered with a ceramic tile leaving 1/4 of inch open (Don't have a daisy wheel.)

For camping, if you have a vacuum sealer, gently seal a cup of lump with a firestarter cube.You can make a few bags up and won't get your vehicle or camper dirty with lump. Also keeps the lump from getting damp. I just use one of those "Milk crates" that I had from college to transport the mini in.

I did a turkey breast (I had to trim it a bit to get it to fit). I made some aluminum logs and a small aluminum pan to set it in. But ended up accidently spilling all the drippings into the mini....Woodoggies.....mini's can flashback under the right conditions....Dang those flames were big! :woohoo: So be careful.

Think....portability.......uses little lump........just too cute!!

Reaches high searing temps for grilling and does it pretty fast too. If you have trouble starting it (the lump). One of those little hand-held personal fans works wonders, if you use it on the bottom vent to get more air in.

Always be on the lookout for small pans or such for the mini, I have found circular shis-ka-bob skewers that work. A small pan called "beanpot" sold in grill shops will fit the mini.

Also, I got a second grid, then cut out the bottom of a pie plate so I can use it to stack two layers of wings or the stuffed peppers-abts.

Have fun!

I hope this helps...