Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT question

Options
KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a full double stacked load of ribs that I just put on the egg at 220 degrees. I would like to toss on some ABT's toward the end of the cook to serve as appetizers. I normally cook ABT's at about 375 for about 40 minutes. Will they cook OK at 220 if cook them at 220 for about an hour or so? Will the bacon ever get crisp at 220?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    it will just take a little longer than normal ;);)

sounds like party at your house wish i could make it :angry: sounds like those who will will be eating well :lol:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I also have baked beans cooking too using this recipe that I found on the 'net. I can't remember where I got this recipe - maybe from some one on the forum but its my favorite baked bean recipe. I get rave reviews every time I cook 'em. Here's the recipe:

SMOKED BAKED BEANS

• 6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
    (can also add 1 cup or so of shredded barbecue)
    • 1/2 Medium onion, diced
    • 1/2 Bell pepper, diced
    • 1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
    • 1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans
    • 1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
    • 1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
    • ½ Cup ketchup & ½ cup of mild barbecue sauce OR (1 cup ketchup)
    • 1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard (or ¼ cup of yellow mustard)

1. Sauté bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
    2. Sauté onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper until tender.
    3. In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard.
    4. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)
    5. Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 – 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160°).

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

With the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeño pepper and the dry mustard
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    thanks i have added it to my cookbook ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Those beans sound good. I've also copied it and will try soon
    Thanks
    Pat