Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn on the Cob

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fairly new to the BGE game. Can anyone suggest a great way to grill some corn for a large party?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Rook if you look in the Cookbook on this forum under veggies there are several really good corn on the cob recipes. Personally I steer clear of the ones using the corn in foil. May as well cook it in the microwave.. ;)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Soak the corn in ice water for an hour. Then grill direct about 350. Butter and use Raging River instead of salt and pepper.

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Rook,
    Here is one that looks good[p]
    Corn, Cob, Grilled

Procedure:
    1 Get how ever many ears of corn you want to cook remove the shuck and remove the silk as well
    2 Get some real Mayo and slather it on all the ears of corn all over them
    3 Sprinkle on some chili power
    4 Sprinkle on pepper and salt
    5 Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese
    6 Wrap each ear of corn in foil
    7 Place on BGE at 350° indirect for 30 minutes to an hour i did mine for an hour and they were very good once you remove them sprinkle with DP jamacian fire walk for some added heat serve and enjoy

Recipe Type
    Vegetarian

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Fprom, Beast, 12/10/07

Also you have a few answers over atThe New Forum just thought you should know [p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    When you grill them direct, how often do you turn and about how long to cook?

I'm used to steaming or microwave. I tried grilling them once and they came out ok, but would like to know how to do it right!
    Thanks.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's all in the corn.... if it's sweet corn (good corn) you don't want to overcook it.

mom used to cook it til "you could smell it", maybe 15 minutes. oversoft i think. darlene finally decided to try it earlier. i find steaming only takes about 3 to 4 minutes.

grilling with husk on (wet or not) is a bit of a crap shoot. roll it around til it looks all pretty. 400 or so probably 8-10 minutes. it'll be done. if not, zap it.

new englanders aren't terribly used to browned/blackened corn, so you'll find that you'll be pulling them off when they look done.

roasted is pretty amazing with vegetables. i swear they are sweeter. high dry heat is great.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    If you leave in the husk you can turn about every 5-10 minutes. Who cares if it chars because you wont each the husk and the corn is still safe. I don't butter until I take out of the husk. The silk comes off real easy then too. After about 20 min check the kernals. This below was 375-400 dome for 40 min

corn.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    We do almost the same thing but we put all that stuff on after the corn has been grilled in the husk with no foil. Have all that stuff available for folks that want to use it and let the rest just use good ol' butter and salt.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't mind char (especially on the husks), just saying (i know the crowd bob cooks for), he may want to soak it, leave husks on, and pull earlier rather than later. that one brown kernel on your pic is enough to send half his audience in paroxysms of shuddering and "ick"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i dont remove the husks or the silk or anything. just throw them on and roll them every once in a while til you smell it, i go by smell more than anything. then i pack them in a 12 pack box and cook some more til its all cooked, a cooler would work, it keeps it hot and finishes them up. everthing pulls off easily after its cooked, removing the silk first before cooking actually seems to leave more on the cob.
    when we have corn, there is nothing but corn, i grew up in a house where we ate 3 dozen ears and alot of butter for dinner, no steaks, veggies or anything else when we had fresh corn.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Looks like you have some good reponses. Give it a try. Now I'm hungry for sweet corn. :)

Mike
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1679.jpg

I soak them in water for 30min. Then grill untill they are dark Husk and then butter.
    My Best.
    Ross
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Is that the method you did in Omaha at the after party? -RP
  • JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Rook,
    Get your corn with the husk still on them and soak them in salt water for 12 hours. Put them on the grill and cook them until outsides are black. You must rotate them to all side. The water inside the corn will steam the corn and it is good eats.