Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite tools and accessories

TheRub
TheRub Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I wonder if I could get some of you veterans to weigh in on your favorite/musthave/can't live withoug tools and ascessories for your big green egg. It would be helpful for the new ones among us to hear what has worked well, and of course what has not.

Any and all ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Plate setter...I don't know how I ever cooked without one.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Platesetter, pizza stone, and meat thermometer. The first one which was a cheap digital was good but the last one I got (an Instant read) is the tops.
  • TheRub
    TheRub Posts: 6
    I will add that U love my cast iron cooking grate and my Guru.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When one really thinks about your question it is a bit hard. Over time I have acquired a lot of accessories. Of course there are all the basic things but beyond those here are some thoughts.

I always or most always use is the ThereomPen, Plate setter, raised grid (now using adjustable righ and spider), ss deep dish pizza pan for drip pan and remote dual probe thermometer (Maverick ET-73).

It might be easier to say what I wish I had not done or bought. The only think I can think of in this area is I wish I had not bought would be a chimini starter and all the 'cheaper' instant read thermometers before breaking down and spending the money for the ThermoPen. I could have bought 2 ThermoPens if I would have listened to the advice posted here on the forum.

The ThermoPen has done the most for my cooking. Cooking food to the correct temp was a major imporvement with my egg (and other) cooking. After the plate setter, the ThermoPen & remote ET-73 would be a first on things to get. Everything else will fall into place.

My next wish is for a cast iron grate, not sure if I need it and I am not sure if it will impove the food taste, it but some of the pictures posted sure look nice.

Things I don't use often but I am gald I purchased (no paticular order):
    V-Rack
    Welders Gloves
    DigiQ2
    Stoker
    MAPP torch (already had)
    Weed burner (fantastic when it is cold - lg egg well light in 20 seconds).
    Summer time I will sue napkin & oil or MAPP.
    Pizza Stone (not real important for me at this time)
    Dutch Ovens (fantastic)

The forum and folks here are the most valuable accessory, thankfully this if free.

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i was told to buy a thermopen first and i did i do not regret..it. my next perchase was maverick et-73 remote monitor dual themometer. i did not acquire the other toys for almost two years. most important is to learn to control egg temp and when meat is propperly cooked.
    eggcessories depend on what you want to do. ribs pulled pork pizza etc. i used the below pictured set up for indirect for a long time., in addition to chicken i make pastrami the same way. welcome
    bill

chicken.jpg
  • Warthog
    Warthog Posts: 84
    I have to agree with most here. The plate setter and the dual probe thermometer (maverick ET-73) are my go to accessories on most cooks. I would venture that the plate setter is used on 75% - 80% of all cooks from chicken, pork, and brisket to pizza and bread.

You will never have (at least I feel like I will never have) everything, so budget accordingly!

(i.e., Sorry junior, your education will have to wait, I need a ______________)
    Insert latet gadget here!

Warthog
  • Things I use all the time, like every cook:
    Thermapen
    Ash Tool
    Grid lifter (I use pliers)
    Welding Gloves (not every cook, but every hot cook and when I use the platesetter)

Things I use a lot:
    Platesetter
    Raised grid (built my own)
    Rib Rack (not required but I never do ribs without it)
  • The number one favorite Eggessorie that I have seen listed many times before has always been a bottle opener. I am greatly impressed by the more sedate reflections offered.
    TTFN WLL :woohoo:
  • I just bought my large egg yesterday. I already had the polder/pyrex thermometer, so i just bought the plate-setter, billy bar, pizza stone. I am building my own table of my design.

I will probably buy the adjustable rig/spider, and will only buy the guru if I get my butt kicked on temp control.

Jeff
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    chubbylove1.jpg

He does it all! If you get a small, he has the Gratemates that are great. I love tjv spider for blackening fish or steaks.
    Okay, haven't read all the posts. Plate setter. An airgrill is a cheap way to get a fire going quick.

Mike
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    this is a tough one..the thing I probably use the most, especially since getting the CI grate, ash tool, besides stirring cold lump with it, I use it as an ash tool, it also comes in handy for lifting the CI grate and for scraping the V shaped grate to get burned stuff off. It's also good for raking chips, crumbs, pieces of lump, etc. from the top of the fire ring. Many uses. But my dealer gave me this and the grate lifter free with my first egg. So that may not count. When I bought my small they said I could have any eggcessory for it free, I picked the plate setter. so guess it must be pretty important to me! My least used eggcessory is probably the V rack.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    From your statement you will never end up getting a guru.

Temp control is not hard and is one of great features of the egg. Make sure you know how to start a good fire and once stabilized if you don't fiddle with the vents.

The Guru (or Stoker) is great for overnight and long cooks. You don't end up getting up to check the egg temp.

Congratulations on gettng an egg and welcome abord.

GG
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    All the suggestions are niceties but without a meat thermometer you are lost.
  • As a relative new Egger the tools I find most important are:

The Place setter It raises the grid to the top of the dome. As of yet, I have not used it for indirects

Grill extender for two reasons. It allows you to cook more food and it raises the cooking height. I found out tonight that if the grid sits low you can have a challenge flipping burgers and onions.

Pizza plate buy BGE one. I broke my first stone but it was not as thick as the BGE

Instant read thermometer and one that you can use for long grilling

Ash tool but you can make your own for a fraction of the cost.

A rack is nice for cooking multiple racks of ribs but I just use the rack that came with one of my roasting pans.

Dutch oven I was using my Le Cruset but the black on the enamble was tough to clean so i bought a Lodge.

Gloves or mitts that cover up to your forearms and can within stand high heat for handling the inserts etc. I have silicone mitts but might invest in welders gloves.

fire extinguisher

Next accessory will either be the woo2 or spider and then digi2 or stoker for long cooks.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Got to go with my "Phone a friend" Jeffersonian and say platsetter and remote thermometer. Plattsetter covered with foil for easy clean up indirect cooks and thermometer so I do not have to keep poping the top to check meat temp! ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    CWM,

Yeah but he can cost you a ton in grape soda ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Wrong guy.....though he probably did stick somebody with that bill :woohoo:

Billy bar. Great grid cleaner.
    Platesetter.
    Thermapen.
    I'm kinda partial to my LR Charwoody spatula too....."get your wood on".....wait isn't that a spam thread up above!?! :whistle: :woohoo:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Basically a hand held blow dryer. About 10 bucks, free if you cook at some eggfests.

Mike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    hand crank on the left vs. a "personal fan" on the right that is battery operated.
    IMG_0247.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    this is my new eggsessory, building an outdoor kitchen with newengland field stone and some blue stone this summer. should also work good for moving lump. rear seat folds down into a small dump body. i think this will be the best accessory that ive bought for an egg. put my order in for one last night in realtree camo

http://www.plaistowpowersports.com/new_vehicle_image_popup.asp?Manufacturer=14&Vehicle=55631&PicNum=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it