Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Cook a New York Strip

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anybody tell me a good way to cook NY Strips. I am a ribeye man and I have only cooked NYS maybe three times my whole life... However, I found some on sale(3.99/lbs) and figured any steak on the BGE has to be better than my other options(pasta). The steaks are 7/8" to 1" thick, can these be high temp seared?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Byrdman,
    I vote for a 750 degree, full bed of orange coals, sear. 2.5-3 minutes a side, and maybe no dwell for medium rare...so long as you get a good sear. Maybe a 1 or 2 minute dwell. You can judge by pushing on it with your finger. If it is firming up, it is time to come off.[p]Just my couple-o-cents!
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    When pushing it with your finger,use the following as a guide. Make a fist and squeeze as hard as you can. With the other hand, push the part of your hand between your thumb and pointer finger, that is the texture of well done. Relax your fist all the way and push, that is rare, as rare as before it gets to the grill. It's a simple way to judge steaks, for me anyway.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Bill in VA
    Options
    I watch the color of the juices coming from the steak. Red =
    Rare, Pink=Med, Brown = Too Late!
    For poultry, when the juices run clear......it's done.[p]Of course on BIG pieces of meat a thermo is the way to go.[p]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Byrdman, no offense meant, OK? But those are pretty thin and at that price a little suspect in my book. Next time try get some thicker ones and use the method introduced and perfected by Dr Chicken who doesn't post here any more. [p]Tell you what...to summon BatMan they beam up the B search light over the city...let me see if I can crank up a generator to send the C light and maybe he will respond directly to you via email!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.