Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET, Tough to do on the EGG? Say it isn't so!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picking up my large egg tomorrow. I spotted a post earlier where a member was going to make his first cook a brisket. The responses seemed to me to imply that doing a brisket on the egg is tough to do.

I thought it was supposed to be one of the things the egg does well? Was the hesitation due to a learning curve, or is it just plain hard to do on an egg? If a learning curve, how many destroyed briskets before the curve is mastered? LOL!

Jeff

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Took me three before I had one I considered really decent. The first was a disaster, #2 was better and edible and #3 was tender and moist. Going to do another in a few weeks.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Did one yesterday.. It WAS gooooodddd :lol:

Let's me add to this. Brisket can be a tough cook on any cooker. It requires a lot of time and patience. If you can find a Whole Brisket you'll be better. For some reason most of the Briskets I have seen lately has been flats.

If that is the case make sure you get one that is still in the cryrovac. If it's in the styrofoam and saran wrap then it was trimmed. Butchers do a major injustice trimming off the fat for you. Get a flat in the 8-10 pound range. Anything less then that probably has been trimmed and is best ground up and made into burgers.

Whole Briskets are in th 10-15 pound range because they also include the point. The point is best part in my opinion. You can trim up some of the fat from a Whole Brisket, but don't cut too deep.

~thirdeye~ has a great Brisket write-up on his site.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've done one and it was largely awful. About 20% was edible. I did have the Egg temp climb a couple of times on me, and I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    They say the brisket is one of the hardest cooks :whistle: . I'm still a greenhorn and haven't worked up the nerve as I am still learning to control the temps and flavoring with different woods :huh: . Everyone on this forum is extremely helpful. My advise is to learn how your BGE cooks and adjust to temps, with the top and bottom vents, with some easier cooks before you try the briskets and 20 hr. pulled pork.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I say go for it. If you have mastered Brisket cooking on another type of smoker then the EGG will be much easier.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Brisket's don't have to be hard, I've posted an easy brisket cook in the past & recently E mailed to a fellow egger. Look forward to his results good or bad. While not a competition recipe its a neighborhood favorite, Hope to see his results here soon.
    Pat
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    I agree with one of the other guys. Get a whole brisket if possible with at least a 1/4" inch of fat cap. Expect it to take about 16-20 hrs. I like to rub mine with a thin layer of yellow mustard then a good rub. One thing to remember is don't keep opening the top. Get a good thermometer for internal meat temp. Don't be impatient during the plateau (usually around 170-180). Let the meat get to 195-200 before taking off the grill. Let it rest. Don't be scared. the worst that can happen is you have brisket stew :laugh: :whistle:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I´ve done some many briskets I tell you........it´s as simple as ABC:
    A) Choose a decent size brisket....normally I do 15+ pounds
    B) Don´t spoil it adding so many spices...just add a decent smoke
    C) Be patient......100°-125° internal.....and sleep on it
  • Beli
    Options
    I Correct: 100°-125° Dome......190° internal. :woohoo:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    100-125? Brisket is no where near done at that temp.. I hope you meant 200!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    you need to correct again. The laws for math and physics state that 100-125 done will not allow meat to exceen that..

250 Dome!!
  • Beli
    Options
    100°C.125°C C.elsius....that´s my reading
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Well you didn't say that dagnabit!!

Then your 190 degs is brisket toast... :woohoo: Should be 87 or so..
  • Beli
    Options
    190° F????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I am going to get more caffeine now!! :ermm:
  • Beli
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: sorry my friend.......you must understand it is difficult for me at this time and in this metric part of the world......and after so many tequilas.....to be coherent,,,,,,,,,,,cheers!!!!!!!!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    If you've mastered briskets on another type of cooker it will be easy on the BGE, once you've mastered BGE temp control.

Full packer
    full load of lump (about half way up fire ring)
    I like oak and cherry chunks for smoking wood
    light off center at 4 and 8 o'clock
    plate setter, legs up
    drip pan raised slightly off plate setter
    STABLE 250* dome with everything in place but the beer and meat
    couple beers in drip pan
    normal grid
    fat cap down
    point to the back of the Egg
    wired thermometer in the flat, inserted from the side
    close the dome and don't reopen until internal is at least 190*
    do not readjust the dampers for an hour after you close the dome. the dome temp will read low for a while, but give the Egg a little time to come back to temp.
    fork test for doneness: insert meat fork and twist. if it turns easy, the brisket is done. 200* is not overcooked.
    foil, wrap in towels, and place in pre-warmed cooler for at least an hour.

For burnt ends:
    separate the point from the flat
    cut the point into about 3/4 inch cubes
    place in aluminum pan
    sprinkle with a little rub
    add your favorite BBQ sauce
    place back in the Egg for an hour or so

thin slice the flat across the grain.
  • Has anyone tried the Smoky Okie Method on the Egg? http://www.recipezaar.com/207187

I don't have an Egg yet but as soon as my taxes get back, the wife says I can get one. I love doing Brisket on my offset. I figured the Egg would be awesome for the Smoky Okie Method since you can get the Egg to TRex temps.

I just wonder how long it would take to get back to 225-250 though.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Morning CW, just to mention around me flats typically run 5-7 pounds with 8-10 pounders hard to find. Cooked two flats last weekend with one approaching 8 pounds and it included part of the point.

Have fun in FL. T

slicedbrisket.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.