Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough questions

Options
Bama Fire
Bama Fire Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made spin's pizza the other night -- DELICIOUS!![p]The wife and I are wondering if you can make the dough ahead of time. How far in advance? Can it be frozen? How long will it last in the refrigerator?[p]Thanks!!

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]Dough for pizza can ferment in the refrigerator for up to 72 hours, but that's overkill. I'm a fan of up to 24 to 48 hours in the frig max. Anything longer and I'll freeze the dough.[p]If you freeze the dough, allow the dough to thaw completely at room temperature. Final prep is the same.
  • Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Bama Fire,[p]I use the pre-made Pilbury pizza dough in the biscuit style "can". It's ready when I am, and a whole lot easier.[p]Give it a try, you will be pleasantly suprised.[p]Cheers,
    Alan

• Bama Fire,[p]I make pizza twice a week and it's actually best to make the dough, let it rise 1 and 1/2 hours, then put it in a plastic bag in the fridge for a day or two...that gives it a better flavor. (Same for bread dough.)[p]Also, for an authentic dough, use a ratio of 1/4 cake flour to 3/4 all-purpose flour. That results in a dough easier to stretch and with a better final texture.[p]Dough freezes well. Enough for one pizza is about the size of a woman's fist. You can just put it in a plastic storage bag--no need for a "freezer" bag--and freeze it. I take it out the day before and let it thaw in the fridge for 24 hours or so...[p]Then, about an hour before you're going to cook with it, remove from fridge and let it warm up at room temp for an hour or so (flatten it into about a 6" pancake to hasten the warming process).[p]