Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table for large egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any ideas where to buy and/or build a table for a Large Egg with granite or tile top? Any help would work. Thanks.

Comments

• Herb
    Herb Posts: 28
    Options
    I just finished one, I did modify it a bit to accommodate 2 large eggs. Scroll down a bit and you can see a photo in my post. The whiz plans are very good and well thought out. I would recommend them.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    This is mine. The basic Naked Whiz plan..just made it 6' with granite on top.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I love your table, Kim. Most of the granite tiles I've seen come in 12x12" squares...is that what you used, or did you find a supplier that had slightly larger tiles?
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    You should be able to find 18 inch granite tiles at the major suppliers. But I'm thinking that my next table will be granite slab with a cut-out for a new medium BGE. The slab material really isn’t all that expensive. It’s the edge-work that drives up the cost. To get around that, you can frame up your table surface ½ inch wider and ½ inch longer than your slab piece. That’ll leave you a ¼ inch grout line all the way around the perimeter once you trim out. These pics (if I can make it work) of my first table kind-of shows the idea only with tile (since I’m a cheap bastard and these floor tiles are $1.50 a piece). I had decided that my XL would take up too much table space so just went with a full table and no cut-out. The basics of the table design are of course from the wise and noble Naked Whiz. The biggest challenge on the new granite table will be the round cut-out. I’ll probably pony up to get that done. Straight cuts are fairly easy with a diamond blade and a worm drive Skil saw. BTW, if you go with tile, choose porcelain over ceramic as it will hold up better to freezing.

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    UGA griller--
    hey i'm assuming your'e in Athens, call me, i build tables and pour concrete tops for M, L ,XL eggs. I sell them to a local dealer, but if we get together it will be cheaper for you.

chris tredwell
    go dawgs
    404 456 3891
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Don't feel bad...I was eyeing some 13" (33 cm) tile for my upcoming table project. It was a bit more than $1.50 per, but not that much. It was ceramic, however...I might need to reconsider based on what you said about freeze resistance.

Yeah, I've seen the 18" (45 cm) granite, too, but can't make that work unless I make the table >36" deep, too deep to work on, really. I might head back to my granite guy to see what a 2 cm slab would cost me and just bite the bullet.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Scubadog - Why not make the table a little smaller than the granite slab to avoid the edge work and grouting? Much easier to keep clean if it is just a single piece of rock with a hole in it. The piece I had was a freebie but wasn't wide enough for an XL and I would have probably messed up trying to cut a hole in it. But if someone was buying one with a hole, for a few xtra bucks I suspect you could get it wide enough so frame work and grout wouldn't be required - just two centavos.

Here is my side table for my Egg Table
    101_1838640x480.jpg
  • I'm in Atlanta. Is that a problem?
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    no problem UGA griller, e-mail me, i can help you with doin' it yo self, or build ya one... anything for a fellow dawg fan.....

chris tredwell
    go dawgs
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Good point and nice table!! The only reason I would go with the wood trim is to avoid the cost of the polished edgework on the granite.
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I got my 12 x 12 tiles at Home Depot. They worked out great and were cheap. Less than $3 per tile.

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • vidalia1
    Options
    I got my 12 x 12 tiles at Home Depot. They worked out great and were cheap. Less than $3 per tile.

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA