Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt question

Doctor Evil
Doctor Evil Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am about to cook my first pork butt. This one is a doozie! It weighs in at 20 pounds. My advanced math skills tell me that I will be cooking this monster for 40 hours! No thanks. If I cut it in half and cook approximately 2 hours per pound, can I cook both halves at the same time and expect it to be done in about 20 hours, rather than 40? Do you suggest that I cook only half and freeze the rest raw, or will it freeze better after it is cooked?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You might want to open the cryovac. You might find it's already cut in half.

Yes you can cut it in half and make sure there is space between the two chunks.on the grate

You can cook both or freeze half. That is up to you.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I think a minimum of 2" is the recommended spacing, no?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Just need air around it. Never really considered a minimum space.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    They been talking about that hog in Georgia for years, Hogzilla. That may be a record for a single butt. I would say that is one fat ass pig, but shoulder meat and ham meat is a fer piece apart. I agree with CW that you have two pieces of meat on one package.
    Good luck, don't start a grease fire.
    Doug
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    two butts touching won't slow the cook really. you need a pile before the cook time is affected. they will shrink a bit and pull away from each other anyway...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Are you sure you don't have a whole shoulder? 20 lbs is an awfully big pork butt. How is it packaged?

Raw pork freezes well and bbq'd pork freezes well. I'd cook it all at the same time and vacuum freeze what you can't use.
    It's always nice to reach in the freezer and have pork bbq when you want it!

john
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Doctor.
    As the other knowledgeable folks have mentioned, you don't have one pork butt there. You either have 3 pork butts (or 2 really big ones) or a whole shoulder. Does it have any skin on it??

We'll get you straight here one way or the other!
    Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Yo Stike. Good to see you so active around here still.

Okay, so two butts with their sides pressed against each other won't "slow the cook really". I'd think it has to, since one side of the butt is basically cut off from any heat....except for what comes from the neighbor. Ya gotta think it makes a difference. I am simply a right-brainer though, and have not done (nor will do) any scientific tests. So I was hoping to tap into what you are thinking here. Why doesn't it slow the cook??

Just so you know, and unrelated to this post, but I am a big fan of your humor here on this board.
    Beersmang!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    cook em both or all 3..whatever u got there...there are many many uses for cooked butt.. I package it in 2 cup quantities vacuum packed..that is enough for most where you just need some to add to another cook and you can always open more than one ;)
  • stike
    it might be nice to put one butt up against the other in bed, but it don't keep you warm, does it?

i got my info re: multiple butts affecting cook time from fishless (i did NOT get my info re: rubbing butts in bed from him at all. no way).

he went so far as to say four butts affect the length of the cook only because of airflow. once they shrink, the airspace around them opens up and the cook goes on as normal.

i always revert to "thought experiments"... habit of the profession. so. think of two pork butts touching like a hot dog. a hot dog is longer than it is round. it cooks based on the amount of time it takes the heat to go the shortest distance toward the center.

two butts jammed together are still gonna cook in about the same time as one, because the shortest distance to the center is still from the side. four butts, and another on top, is a different story.

if you make the two butts into a sphere, well, your cook would get longer.
  • stike
    oh. meant to say thanks for the props, yo. hopefully you weren't being facetious and i just missed it!

yeah. i have been active.

work is slow this time of year. hahaha

i'm glad you appreciate the sense of humor. fishless is convinced that 90% of the folks here don't understand the yankee sense of humor, and that they just assume i'm an ass. i mean, i AM an ass, just not entirely in the way they THINK i'm an ass.
  • Thanks for all your help. I'm not going to start the cook until tomorrow night, so I'll open the package tomorrow. I'll let you know how it comes out and what was in the package.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    save us the suspense...open it now put some rub on it and wrap it over night ???? please :laugh: :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Well if my wife's cold butt is pressed against mine hers warms up and mine cools off. Then it takes time for both to get warm again without manual intervention.
  • stike
    i bet most of your "manual intervention" takes place in the shower. or when that hot chick is anchoring CNN
  • Celtic Wolf
    A bet you will lose!! I don't watch CNN!!
  • stike
    ...and apparently you do not shower.

somehow i already knew that.
  • Nature Boy
    LOL. Interestin thoughts. I guess if the long ends are butted up against each other, then you still only have 20% or less of the butts that are getting no heat/air. And like fishless sez (and I'd hafta say that's a credible source) a seperation will occur at some point. Still...it's gotta increase the time, and there is no way the butts can cook evenly, and your crust will suffer where buttage occurs. I avoid buttage at all costs, but I love the fact that I now know I can get away with butt buttage if need be. Which is why I love this forum! Thanks for rollin with that question,
    Beersmang!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Naw, I am not being facetious. And, actually, I usually try and be at least SLIGHTLY obvious if I am being sarcastic ;-)

I thought you were an ass at first. Now you crack me up. I hope that I feel the same way when I finally meet you! hee!

You slow enough to pop on down to Waldorf in May?
    Gonna be fun.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Open the package! Open the package!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    aw MAN. Natureboy thought i was an ASS....

that's saying somethin. ooof! right in the solar plexus.

you know. maybe i will pop down there. but if you think i'm bad now, wait til i;'ve had a cuppla beverages!
  • WooDoggies
    I will be the first to contribute to a travel/gas fund to assure that you, J. Stike, will attend the 2008 Waldorf Eggfest.
    Anyone interested in signing on can contact me.

Sorry, man, but you have no say in this. :~)

john
  • Celtic Wolf
    He'll probably run off with the cash to Jamaica, but I'll pay to throw his skinny butt on a bus..
  • stike
    so tonight i mentioned.... gee you know, one of the guys mentioned waldorf.
    my wife didn't even turn to look at me, or pause: told me "you're going"
    hahaha

so ok
    so i'll commit. i'll go.

whattayoo all sleep in tents down there, though? few years ago there wasn't a pic posted by you or NB that didn't have a damn tent in it. i'm cool with that. long as there's ice for the beverages.

why she tryna get ridda me, anyway? yoo i think she has a lover?

(dude. using my real name on the web is like pulling down my shorts in gym class. chicks all "ooooh STIKEY". and freaky peeple like celtic wolf'll be googling my ass and all. hahahaha)
  • stike
    not so skinny anymore.

the only reason i ain't shown up at yer place to school yer ass in the art of fighting-like -a-gurl is that greyhound said i have widened so much that i need anutha ticket....

my wife came home today and saw me at the 'puter with the top button of my pants undone and i blurted out "no no no. it ain't whatcha think!"

i had to bring up my post on the forum about eating a giant damn kielbasa at lunch to show her.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Trust me I will not be googling your ass.

You can sleep in a tent. The rest of us will be in the Comfort Inn or the Country Inn.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Do you beep when you back up?
  • stike
    i can do whatever you want me to, sailor. it's your dime
  • stike
    wherever i sleep, you can bet there's a tent, my friend.
  • WooDoggies
    Awesome! That's great news.... I look forward to finally clinking beers with you. But I'll tell you now, the 10 bucks I was going to throw in for gas will only get you as far as Hoboken... and no one else has contacted me to to contribute. How are your hitchhiking skills?

If you're really intent on sleeping in a tent, there's Cedarville State Forest just a few miles up the road.... my friends from England camped there for eggfest a few years ago and seemed not to be bothered by the locals if you know what I mean.

john

previous post edited for anonymity. :~)