Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bge got down to 125 degrees

phreakingeek
phreakingeek Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know if the ribs can be saved? I have 4 racks of ribs in there and I was shocked to see my Stoker still displaying the the temp, but the fan wasn't running and the alarm never went off...

I have a big work party tomorrow and the first set of 4 racks were cooked just fine. I don't have time to run to Costco to pick up more ribs and start over. But, that said, if there is any chance that the ribs might not be safe to eat, I'll get rid of them all and start over.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    How long have the ribs been on before you noticed the temp down to 125? and what temp were you originally cooking them at?
  • they were cooking at 225....but I'm not sure how long the grill was that low. I've never had the Stoker do that, so I wasn't watching it too closely. I normally just come back when the time is up and it's ready to come off. If I had to guess, it might have been an hour while the temps were dropping from 225 to 125.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Depends on how long they were on, but I'm thinkin' if it had time to get that cool, I doubt I would serve them to anyone. better safe than sorry, especially when serving friends, IMHO.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    If they were mine, I would build it up to 250-275 and go forward, but then I live on the food edge sometimes.I usually cook my ribs at 250-275 depending on how much time I have for them to be done.5-6 hours indirect no foil, spritz after 3 hours every 30 minutes or so sauce last 45 minutes or so.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if it's truly only an hour, and maybe an hour of prep time, you still have 2 hours of safety.

it's not good for us to try to diagnose these situations across the web, but an hour or two isn't ominous.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Yep --

But mark those, and feed them to your office-competitors... or the bosses... just to be sure!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    It may be too late for this, but I would assume the worst given the consequences if you are wrong...go by how long it had been since you last checked minus one hour for the temp to drop...ie...if you checked it last 5 hrs ago...assume it has been at that temp for 4 hrs and toss them....
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    You'll be better off just throwing away the ribs...sorry to hear about the Stoker issues. Live to fight another day.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Don't you have the ability to download the temp data from the Stoker? To late now but good to learn.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    for one HOUR of time outside the safe zone, you would advocate throwing them out?

i think if they weres truly outside the safety zone only an hour (as he says), that to throw them out is not so much being "safe" as it would be a case of wasting money and being overly conservative.

i just don't get it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    fires been out for an hour, meat was salted down with rub, its sitting in a smoke filled oxygen deficient environment, i would eat them. but it is YOUR call. this is why i dont use those gadgets to cook with. they break down, even with a maveric set up thats just monitoring temps i get up anyways and go check on things every 3 hours.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    ditto that on the checking fishless..I don't trust them newfangled dang gadgets!! :woohoo: :woohoo: