Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid on Medium out of line

Options
Smokin Gator
Smokin Gator Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased and older medium to restore. Among other things I put on a new spring assist band and new felt seals.[p]When I put the new bands on I noticed the left side of the done did not match up real well on the front left of the handle. I figured I could live with that. After cooking on it several times I noticed it seemed liked I wasn't getting a very good seal and air was coming in from somewhere. I started looking and found that there was a gap between the dome and the base at the back of the Egg. I could look from the side and see light... I would say about the width of a dime. I loosened the bands and moved them a bit. Now the front bands hit. After I cooked last night I closed down the top and bottom vents but the lump kept burning until it was gone. [p]Any tips on getting the dome and base aligned?

Comments

• JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    Options
    Smokin' Gator.
    I had a similair problem with my large. The dome base was out of tolerance. It had too big of a gap between the dome and base. When they make the egg they are allowed a gap tolerance of I think, .040", between the dome and the base. Call John at the Mothership he can give you the exact figure.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I had a similar problem and according to John it was the cause of my seal being fried. I have pasted his recommendation. I hope this helps

Here is email to me.

Anyway I have viewed the photos and I see what is happening. The dome needs a little adjustment. It looks like the carriage bolts that tighten the bands down onto the grill are not tight enough, this will cause a little slack in the bands which give the spring assembly a little play. What happens is the springs try to open the dome but they are not strong enough to do it.....they can pull the dome up in the back area. I'm sending the gasket but here is how to adjust the dome

1.) Have someone hold the dome open for you
    2.) With a set of locking pliers clamp on the top of the spring and pull the spring up and off the assembly.
    3.) Once both springs are off carefully close the dome
    4.) Loosen the carriage bolt on the dome band and remove the dome
    5.) When the gasket gets to you follow the instructions on how to apply
    6.) Now the important part....when you put the dome back on tighten the carriage bolts until the bend away from the grill. Don't worry you will not break the ceramics.
    7.) Have someone open the dome while you put the springs back on.

What you just did is reset the timing on the spring assembly.....if the spring assembly opens a little it will cause the dome to pull in the back and the only place the dome will actually touch is the front.....this looks just like what your having happen. The dealer should have assembled the bolts tighter than what you have and that is the most common problem that we have. Once you get the gasket you should be good to go.

If you need me for anything my cell is 770-633-6471....that is my work cell and I have it with me at all times. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any questions.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    my mini had similar probelm i will try to describe wish i could draw on this post [stike?]
    check the hinge at the back of the rings, the hinge/spring braket is riveted to the rings. they have to be parrallel and centered. the top riveted bracket on my mini was not parrallel with the lower one and when i tightened the bands it pulled on side of the top up. the further away from the hinge the greater the gap. took me a year of putzing with new gasket loosening tightening before i noticed the problem if this is not clear, email me and we can talk on the phone
    bill
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Smokin Gator,[p]I had a small gap on the left side of my medium. I actually rotated the dome just a bit in the top band, and it closed the gap. My thermometer isn't exactly in the center but who cares. I guess I lined up a low spot in the edge of the dome with a dip in the edge of the base.[p]For the gap in the rear, try putting a spacer in front (right under the handle) and closing the dome on it while you push the back of the dome down into the band and tighten.[p]Hope that helps.