Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At what temperature do I cook a Boston Butt in 5 hours or less?

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Don Nabi,
    That's a new one for me...usually we use a dome temperature of 240-250°, and estimate a cook time of about 1-1/2 to 2 hours / lb...but take whatever we get. I've seen some higher temps lately (like around 275-300°) and excellerated times, but I'm not sure what the finished product is like. I always use the axiom "if you're cooking over 240°, you ain't BBQing, you're grilling." I think you run the risk of ending up with sliced pork, instead of pulled pork.[p]Hope that helps.

• jwirlwind
    Options
    Don Nabi,
    Since the Boston butt comes from Boston, and it is cold up there, I would put the heat at least 500 dome. [p]MC Jerry

• jwirlwind
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,
    Just kidding. I never let it go above 275 dome. [p]MC Jerry

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Don Nabi,[p] If you insist on this approach raise the temp to about 400 dome. However, the end result will be fatter then if cooked lo 'n' slo [p]
  • Michael B
    Options
    Don Nabi,[p]Cut it up into 3 pound roasts and cook at 250* dome.[p]- or -[p]********************[p]Roast Pork Shoulder Caribbean-Style [p]4 – 5 pound bone-in pork shoulder
    1 medium onion, thickly sliced
    1 head of garlic, peeled
    2 tablespoons oregano
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper corns
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoons lard or oil
    Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
    Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
    Juice of 1 bitter orange
    [p]Cooking Directions
    Using a sharp knife make several shallow cuts (about 1/2-inch deep) in the pork, place in a glass or ceramic roasting pan. Spread the onion slices on the bottom of the pan.[p]Place the rest of the ingredients a in a food processor or blender and process to make a paste. Rub the pork with the mixture on all sides, making sure it goes into the cuts. Place pork on top of the onions.[p]Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 4 hours, turning once, leaving the fat side up for cooking.[p]Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the pork in the middle rack of the oven. After 30 minutes turn down the temperature to 325 degrees and cook an additional 2 hours, basting every 30 minutes or so with its own juices. Cook 30 minutes per pound total, or until the internal temperature as measured with a meat thermometer is 150 degrees F.[p]Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before carving, discard onions. [p]Serves 8-10.[p]********************[p]PORK ROAST (LOIN END, BOSTON BUTT)
    MICROWAVE [p]Cut excess fat from roast. Place roast, fat side down in an oven cooking bag. Pour 1 recipe of the following barbecue sauce over the roast. (1 cup hickory smoked Kraft barbecue sauce and 1/3 cup honey.) Place the bag with the roast and sauce in it in a Pyrex pot. Fold the top of the bag over. (It is NOT necessary to seal the bag and then punch holes in it.)
    Microwave 15 minutes at 100% power. Lower the power to 50% and microwave 8 to 10 minutes per pound. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes, either tented with foil or with a tight fitting lid.[p]NOTE: Use the liquid of your choice: water, onion soup, bouillon or marinade. The important thing is to have between 1 1/2 to 2 cups of liquid depending on the size of the roast.[p]NOTE: If using the probe, omit the 15 minutes on 100% power, insert the probe in the thickest portion of the meat and program to cook to 160 to 165 degrees at 50% power. Avoid bones and fat pockets or the probe will turn off prematurely. Let the meat stand the above designated time.[p]NOTE: Meat needs to be cooked to 170 degrees. Check with thermometer.

• Don Nabi,[p]I smoked a Boston Butt in the 3 1/2 to 4 lb range between 250 and 275 dome temp. It was pull apart tender after about 9 hours. I checked it at about 8 hours and the meat was seperated from the bone. I left it on for another hour "to make sure" it was done. Had plenty of meat for 6 folks.