Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: EGGcessory storage in an Outdoor Kitchen

Options
AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Outdoor Kitchen will finished one of these days, really, it will be:unsure:

Anyways I was considering using a ready built kitchen cabinet from Lowes or Home Depot for storage of all the eggcessories that I have purchased. The cabinet/s will be built in and wrapped in brick, and under a cover, so not really exposed to the elements. Do you think they will be ok.

Second, has anyone ever used one of the small point of use electric hot water heaters. Do they require a constant flow of water or could I just hook it up when using and unplug afterwards.

Kitchen will have a sink but no running water, didn't want to bust the budget. But will be able to hook a garden hose to it for running water while cooking. Thought adding hot water might be a nice touch.

thanks, sorry it is kind of long.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    You could burn out the water heater if you forget to have water in it when you plug it in.

Rather than plug the water heater in, why not use a switch with a light to show it is on. Switch always visible. Possibly build a H/C manifold with a quick connect for the hose.

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Leave it to Seminole to cut corners :laugh: :laugh: . Just kidding,, There are alot of ways for hot water i.e. hot dog carts. Makes for a good use of the old propane tanks, Also alot of hot water holding tanks. Very compact and not that expensive. Sounds like the build is going good. Good luck from the Gator nation.

Pat
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Coleman makes a hot water on demand that I see a lot at BBQ competitions. Takes about one minute to get to 110
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    I don't know what part of Texas you are stuck in, but down here in the south, I'd think twice about leaving any cast iron outside. Perhaps your cabinets will keep the humidity out, but they probably will not.

I know I grew up drinking lots of water out of garden hoses, but now they say you shouldn't. I think they call it potable water? If you are only washing with the hot water, who cares.
    I'd just like the option of having an outdoor kitchen.

Best wishes to ya.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Poolman, good one, you are right about cutting corners. Probably more from being in the Army than a Nole. Build is going slow at the moment. Will be nice just to have water to wash that gator after we do ya'll in this year, :laugh: (I Hope) After Tebow leaves after this year what is the Urban legend going to do for a qb.

TXTriker, live in Harker Heights which is right outside Killeen. Where is League City? don;t have a lot of cast iron accessories yet. Plus will have a shed attached to the patio area.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    If you have a nat gas or propane supply nearby, you might look at a Bosch AquaStar 1000P Liquid Propane or natural Gas Water Heater. It'll give you on demand HW and turn off when not in use.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Really need to check out the ones used on the carts. A friend build a mobile hot dog etc,,, cart & health dept required dual sink & hot water. I'll try to find out what he used but he did tell me the sink cost more than the hot water. All I know right now is it was propane. I'll shoot you the details if he still has them.

Pat
  • TXTriker
    Options
    I lost my post so I will try again. Do you know where Galveston Bay is, Galveston, Houston, High HUMIDITY? That is where League City is. We are about 1/2 way between Houston and Galveston. This is where even stainless steel rusts. We take a magnet when we shop for stainless steel.

Tell the Soldiers we said Hi and they have all of our Support.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I think that humidity is the real question. I'm currently building mine outside but unless it's stainless or aluminium, it goes inside. I guess a la creuset could stand the outdoors.

I was looking at my corner cabinet tonight and I asked my wife if she thought I should put in a sink. Her response was right on target."you've got a sink in the garage, and one at the bar. Use one of them if you need to, but the countertop space is what you really need out here." Im building an 8'X 9'area. She's right, the majority of the prep is done at my indoor kitchen, right next to the fridge. I can't afford an outdoor fridge, so really, the countertop space is most important for staging. IMHO.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have my 9'x5' outside counter top adjoining a kitchen "pass-thru" window... so my indoor prep goes right through the window.

Of course, it takes two... but ya never know -- I'm workin' on that ninja flyin' stuff.

:whistle:

Broc
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    An RV water heater might do for you. They are 6 gallons and run on propane.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I used some Black & Decker cabinets I got at Lowe's. They work great. I also built in some cabinets to store large accessories. Here's a couple of photos:

LargeEggCabinetFinished7-22-07-1.jpg

SmallEggCabinetFinished7-22-07-1.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

I also made this cabinet to hold plastic containers where I can keep items totally away from dust and moisture. They work great too.

And the gas grill holds my collection of cast iron cookware.

Spring "Space User-Upper" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Ooooops! Forgot the photo.

CoopSinkStorage.jpg

Spring "Semi-Pro Forgetter" Chicken
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I can't help you with the heater but I will go against the general thinking and tell you to get water at least cold. I was on a budgit when I built my "Shack" I had to get my food prepration station out doors are a divorce was iminant and after 17 years to expensive. Now I just geather up all my goodies and take outside. I can sling spice and pig grease all day and everyones happy. And with h20 I can clean everything up before I go in. Hot h2o would be nice though. I just buried a h2o hose and ran it up under my sink and tyed it into my sink. The other end is about where I am taking this pic from in first pic. Got a quick disconnect coupling on the end so I can just hook up the regular house hose to it in a matter of seconds. My sink and prep area are behind the Egg. Not big but everything works for me. Curtains on north side to block wind and handy "gas grill storage" bins! :laugh: NEW08116.jpgNEW08147.jpg
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies, will definitely have a water hook up similar to lockhart but can't bury the hose. Will just be run across the yard when ready to use and hooked up to the sink. If I find the energy I may attempt to bury it, that never craossed my mind. Nice set-ups everyone.
    Spring chicken, eggs will be recessed like yours for ease of movement if the need arises. Hope that hand is feeling better.

Think I will bypass the hot water for now. Wife gave me the look of disapprovement when I suggested the water heater last night but at least there are options out there if I decide to later.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Its nice to see the fire extinguisher handy. I wonder how many have that accessory in their outdoor kitchens.
  • TXTriker
    Options
    Hey, looks fine to me but the dinner bell could be a little closer to the kitchen.