Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't get my egg past 550

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have tried all the different settings (upper and lower), but I can't get the temp on my egg past 550. It is a large egg. Anyone got any tricks/advice?

Comments

• Eggscaper
    Options
    could be several things, 1 the set up on fire box hole is in the wrong position 2 the air holes might be cloged with ash from early burns.
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    This is a topic for archive search. That said, what kind of lump? If you want temps to go as far as possible, then wide open bottom vent and no daisy wheel. Assuming your firebox opening is lined up with the bottom vent opening, no excessive ash buildup in to block airflow and you are not using a wet lump then there should be little reason for your Egg not to reach max temp. I recall reading about (in the archives) different temp max for different lump but as a Canadian Egger who has only used BGE Lump I cannot comment with any authority on different types of lump performance. A search of the archives would reveal the naked whiz website having an extensive review of lump charcoal. Other than that, and for whatever I missed, I suggest you search the archives. Priceless source of information.

I looked at the Egg for some time before finally pulling the trigger. I continue to use this forum and the forum archives as a continuing education source. There is a search forum at the top. 95% of my questions are answered there. And I read current posts to pick up along the way and for new recipes etc.

Hope this helps. Happy egging
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Good advice so far, but sometimes we fail to give the Egg enough time to adjust to settings. With your top vent cap completely off and the bottom vent door wide open, you should have a roaring fire in less than 20 minutes. (bear in mind that if you want to use a lower temperature, it's best to catch it on the way up) At any rate, once you see the temp rising, replace the top vent cap, leave the slider open halfway and close down the lower vent a bit. Depending on where you want the temperature to settle out will determine how much you close down the vents.

Back to your question ..... since you have tried various settings, maybe you need to use the wiggle trick. I mean the wiggle stick. Well, it's a stick and a trick.

Wigglerod3.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The wiggle stick trick (say that 10 times) is what I was going to mention too. The fact is , if you have lump and air and fire, it should be hard to hold back the temp.

Since this has been going on for a while, it wouldn't to start from scratch and take everythig out of the Egg and give it a good cleaning and then besure that the fire box is lined up correctly in the bottom. Load in some clean, fresh lump and go. If you do that, I would stay with it pretty close, so you do not get so hot you melt the seal.

As an aside, I use my wiggle stick on lo-n-slo cooks too, if there is any hint I am losing the heat after a long cook.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Sammie Sanders,
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Could be a few things. The only one I would add to the list on the New Forum is to make sure you have enough lump in there to start with. Fill to at least the top of the holes in the fire box. I usually fill mine up to the bottom of the firering. If you are using lump it won't matter as you can shutdown the egg with any amount left in and still be able to reuse the remaining lump. You are using lump charcoal and not brickettes right?[p]Check the top of the forum page for "New Forum this Exit". Click on the link as others have responded over there.

• Uncle Phil
    Options
    Sammie Sanders,[p]I have had this problem before. Aside from the 'enough lump' issue also check to assure the grate at the bottom of you egg is clear. small piece of ash can clog the holes in the fire grate and restrict the flow of air. The other day I couldn't get my egg to temp and the whoosh! a long 3 foot blast of hot air and ash shot out the bottom vent. The heat final got to where it was supposed to be.
    PS- Don't be standing in front of lower vent when whoosh occurs! It can ruin your whole day![p]Uncle Phil

• pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    Options
    not past 550 check list...no particular order
    1. Calibrate thermometer in boiling water
    2. Make sure you fill fire box above hole with lump (i.e., make sure you have lots of fuel).
    3. Take the top off and open bottom vent all the way (include opening the screen door which can hinder air flow)
    4. Make sure outer perimeter of fire box isn't full of ash to block air flow.
    5. Align fire box opening with the bottom vent opening
    6. Make sure grid holes are not blocked.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Sammie Sanders,[p] You are getting for advice on the
    New Forum

• 1/2 Chicken
    Options
    The only time I’ve had trouble with low fire temps is when I got a junky bag of crushed lump... result was lousy air flow. Clear vents, good lump, mapp torch and an open top and bottom usually results in to much heat if anything.
  • Hugh Does Cue
    Options
    Some ideas:

Get rid of almost all the c-coal under the size of the air holes.

Take it appart and use the shop vac to get rid of the small, dust-like stuff that accumulates.

Find something you can cook at low temps for a while and the next time you get the egg going it will undoubtedly fix itself.
  • Sammie Sanders,[p]I remove the daisy wheel completely, and open the bottem vent all the way. I fill the lump just below the fire ring and use 2 starter cubes. [p]After 25 minutes I am at 600 F and climbing fast.[p]Make sure your thermometer is calibrated correctly![p]Good luck![p]
  • Sammie Sanders,
    make sure you are using new lump, cowboy seems to burn the hottest for me make sure your daisy wheel is off and bottom vent all the way open. good luck. john

• Thanks to all for the advice. I think I have it figured out now. I appreciate all the help.[p]