Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My bottom is burning or Pizza #2 bit the dust

Options
Chef in the Making
Chef in the Making Posts: 902
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza assistance is needed as my second pizza bit the dust tonight. Not only did the bottom burn; the stone split. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated in Berlin MD

Comments

• Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    was that a big green egg pizza stone?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    ouch! :( was it a pampered chef? friends that got an egg did not want to buy the pizza stone cause they had a few Pampered chef ones and I told them I wouldn't from what I have read on here. they changed their minds after the first one broke :S julie
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I got my egg a few weeks ago and was going to make my first pizza this week. Guess who has a Pampered Chef pizza stone :blush::whistle:

Looks like I'll be making a run by Hearth and Patio for a pizza stone at lunch tomorrow :unsure:

That's why this forum is so great....you get to learn from other's mistakes (Oh yeah, and successes).
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
    Options
    you might be ok if you don't cook pizzas at 1000 degrees like some people do :whistle:
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    You are so psychic. It was a pampered chef. I wonder why it didn't break last night? It must have been because I failed to grease it and the pizza pie held it together when it stuck to it.

Do you think it burnt because the stone broke or because I cooked it to long. I had it at about 450 for 20 minutes but I really don't know what tempture to cook it at and for how long.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

John
    Options
    depends on what your setup was and what kind of crust you were using.

here's my setup for premade crusts. 420 for 20 minutes

chipotleprocspizza-009.jpg

don't 'grease' the stone. use parchment paper or cornmeal
  • Fossil Frank
    Options
    I have found that 420 degrees is plenty hot for pizza. That's the temp I always use since I tried a hotter temp and melted my gasket.
    Frank
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Rick

I bought the dough and flatten it myself. I also placed the stone directly on the grill. I noted that you had yours set on feet on top of the place setter am I correct. Is there a reason for not greasing the stone?

Thanks for your assistance.

John
  • Nosnow2ski
    Options
    John,

The reason for not oiling or greasing up a pizza stone is the oil/grease will smoke in higher temps.

The care of a pizza stone is fairly easy. After the cook, scrape it clean with a wire brush or scrapper. If need to wipe off, only use a damp cloth. Don't immerse your next stone in soapy water, it will absorb the soap and impart the soapy flavor to your next pizza (and several more to follow).

Also don't immerse it in plain water. It will absorb the water and if not fully dry before heating this too will crack the stone.

I have two stones, the pampered chef one is restricted to the oven. A cheap one from a big box house goods store is for the egg. Of the two the cheap one is thicker. I think the thinness of the pampered chef stone leads to it's high failure rate.

Just my thoughts...David
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    David
    Thanks some good advice