Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any purist out there?

Options
Angie2B
Angie2B Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't have any electronics.(except an electronic thermometer)...I really like fooling around with everything myself. That's a lot of the fun for me. Seems like a lot of the tools out there have made it as easy as just using the oven. I'm not trying to start a flame war -honest. Just curious if anyone else likes the fun of just playing around with the egg as is.Any thoughts? Of course I did gain a lot of weight eating my mistakes! :laugh:

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my results so far.I haven't tried any high tech gadgets yet.I need a good thermometer,but that's about it.If it ain't broke,don't fit it. :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    First, I feel that the "different strokes/different folks" adage applies. If someone likes to use a guru, etc, I have no problem with that.

Heck, I'm just one week into using an Egg so I'm still used to splitting my own logs to throw in my off set. I still feel like I'm 'cheating' just using the egg :laugh:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hi Angie
    It's not only fun to ditch all the gadgets once in a while, but you can sure learn a lot by poking at the meat, and looking at the signs....lettin the food talk to you. It is surprising how well those who try can cook by look and feel alone. But ya gotta work at it. You don't see great chefs whippin out their thermapens too often!

Anyways, I think it is like any technology. If you start using your speed dial on your phone all the time, you aint gonna remember the phone numbers any more. So then when the technology is gone (or the cell phone goes down in the porta potty) you got a problem. Many folks are relying only on their thermapens (etc) and when those tools are gone, they realize they weren't payin attention.

Interesting post, and it just shows how spoiled we can be sometimes.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Angie,
    I have several guru's that I use on long cooks. I still keep my non electronic skills up by utilizing them on cooks that only call for 4 hours or less.
    I'm too old to get up in the middle of the night to check on the fire on a lo&slo, plus the guru's allow me to do other things in the yard.
    Hammer
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    I am a purist. I don't use foil except on the polder wire.

(This is meant to be a joke, not to stir up the pot. Heck, you might as well asked about the DH)
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Ain't stayed up all night with a lo-n-slo yet have you?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I can certainly understand your thoughts on purity of cooking without electronics. I typically only use my "toys" for overnight cooks. That's not to say that I did it the purist way a couple hundred times(at least)first. But I have found that when I have guests coming over or I'm in a position that won't allow time to redo something, I then use my stoker. I'm glad to have my stoker as part of my arsenal. There are enough other complications that can go on. Haha.
  • Angie2B
    Options
    My husband is reading over my shoulder and thinks it would be fun to have some of the guru type gimics. He's been talking a lot about getting into egging himself since I have been sickypoo the last couple of months, so who knows at some point I might like going to the electric side myself.........I don't know though, I just have so much fun poking and guessing at things.......Course, I always got into trouble playing with the campfire when I was a kid. (smile)
  • Angie2B
    Options
    Yep I have.....nothing like listening to nights sounds, the sounds and smells of pork cookining, and drinking ice tea......
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Electronics, electronics, we don’t need no stinking electronics. OK, just having a little fun here.
    The only electronics I use on long cooks is my flashlight. This helps me see the thermometer on the all night cooks. Use balls of AF to make multiple tier cooking surfaces, firebricks for indirect.
    I can see where it would be nice to set the temperature, go to bed and not worry about it until morning. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Well I may be the biggest old fashion cheapest Egger on this forum. All I’ve had was a timer I got from the dollar store and it just broke. :( Of course my hubby took pity on me and bought me a maverick that takes temp with a probe thingy and is also a timer and I take the battery out of it when not in use so it doesn’t drain the battery. :S
    That’s it for me so far. Maybe some day I will get other things I need/want.

AuntieEgger
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I bought a Stoker. But to be honest, staying up all night at was fun at once. I guess the company makes a difference.

Mike
  • StumpBaby
    Options
    I started out with nuttin but my medium egg....then a little while later the fuzzy little missus Stump done got me too of them electronic thermometers..i used them for every low and slow..but after a while they done broke like you read about..after that I don't use nuttin an i always go by feel..i know my eggs and my meat and when it should be done, yep i get up in the middle of the night to check on things and every wonce in a grate while i hafta bump open the vent or somethin...mose of the time i dont....now it aint like we done gave up all electronic stuff....my sista beulah has some kinda strange black banana shaped thing what takes somethin like sevin dee cell batteries in her dwar bye the bed....she done calls it her dubble ended cheeze whiz filled chocolate lectric man....but i'll tell you what i aint nevah seen it mow the lawn or chop some wood or nuttin....heck it don't evin have arms from what I can see..i dont know what kinda man that is...last week I done stole inna her room and drew too faces onnit..seein as how it was dubble ended an all....but when i tole poppa what i dun he thought maybe by the next mornin them faces would be rubbed off an whatnot..i tole poppa he may be write..i mean i spose if it was me an i hadda git up in the nite to pee or somethin....i'd be searchin in that draw of hers for some kinda candle to light the way to the owthowse.....an maybe if'n it took me a while to fine a candle..i'd prolly rub the face offa that banana man of hers..poppa laft until he stopt..i'm guessin he no's maybe beulah don't keep candles in that draw of hers an the joke was one me or somethin..tween you an me..i hope she duz have candles inna that draw..cuz i dont know what she'd do if'n she done made a mistake an lit her man banana on fire....that wood be rong for shore...

StumpBaby
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I'm also with your husband. I love my gadgets. But what you learn without them is just as important.

Happy cookin!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I used the Egg 4 or 5 times a week for 4 months b4 I got the "Q". Like tonight when I am doing ribs opening and closing, adding vegs ect. its nice to let Q take care of everything so I can visit with friends and not fiddle however I like to go natural even on longer cooks from time to time just to remain "one with the charcoal" Like tomorrow I will do a lot of butt overnight for the guys at work. Doing graveyards Wends. night so need to get a good nights sleep tomorrow. Will sleep till 9 or 10 Wendsday morning. If not for the Q I would need to get up by 6 or 7 and then I would be toast that night. With the Q I can sleep in.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Angie, I tend to be somewhat of a so-called purist anyway. I just got rid of a modern ventless gas log fireplace during Christmas. I spent most of the kids break building a chase and chimney so I could install a Quadra-fire wood burning fireplace. Now I'm spliting wood. I don't know if it is purism or insanity but I sure enjoy the fires. I expect to have the same mentality about my new LBGE.

Jody
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Ohh are you suppose to put some tin foil on that wire thingy? :huh:
    Sheesh I didn’t know that!! :unsure:
  • Angie2B
    Options
    Of course that's another point for the electronic side.....maybe I would Q more often if I used the gadgets.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I could be considered a purist since I haven't ordered any electronic auto drafters yet. That's because the SBGE ranked higher on my list than one of those devices. However, the overnighters have me losing sleep because I'm too paranoid to let the fire go out.

Yes, I'll be ordering a Q2 soon...
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    I am not against electronics, I just like to see what I can do with what I got. I like to come up with my own rubs and sauces. Of course getting ideas from others helps the process. I like tending the grill when needed. The art of cooking is trial and error. Nothing wrong with electronic gadgets as long as you cook outside on the grill. Me personally, I don't use them (except for my thermometer). Or course I might if I could afford them B) .
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Angie,

You need to play around with your cooker as-is. I don't care if if it's an Egg or not. Learning how it works, and what works best for you is the most important part of out hobby. Smell the smoke, listen to the sizzle and watch the color of the meat develop. Then test the flavors and the texture, make notes and adjust where needed. Try to learn method and technique .... not just your own but ones other folks use too.

I come from at least two generations of barbequists and it's kind of funny, but the first pit I ever had with a thermometer on it was the first Egg I bought.

Electronic tools are wonderful. I own a Guru, some cable thermometers and a Thermapen. They are all wonderful and worth every dime, but all they really do is turn a good cook into a better one. (or one that gets a little more sleep at night)
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    One will see many people use foiled probe wires. The thing about foil is that it is a heat sink. or heat collector.

The folks at Rocks say don't use it on their probes.

Guru Q2 provides higher temp probes which is a nice feature. The egg should be going that high when on is using a probed cook anyway.

Other than that it will keep the lead wires looking nicer.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I love 'bonding' with the egg and all it entails. There is nothing like watching a cook, smelling the lump and cook.

After some help from third eye I went back to watching more of what I was doing (being a purist).

At -3° to hell with all that. Give me any and everything non purist that I can find. I also like to sleep and not loose a cook.

Some point in time I want to go the fests back in the south and southeast but I sure am not going to walk or drive. Air travel is nice, In the cold using electronics is nice. For you young wippersnappers, go for it. This old fart is staying out of the cold as much as possible - but I ma not going to stop eggin.

GG
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I agree with you entirely. I still don't have a 'real' thermopen, nor a guru type thing, and for indirect cooks I use an old 9x12 pan lined with foil under a home made extended grid. You know, the kind with carriage bolts and washers. :)
    I do have a platesetter but never use it, as I think the pan and the extended grill is easier because it does not need cleaning, and it is a whole lot easier to pick up and move outta the way when the egg has been cooking for several hours and everything is hot.
    So with that, I will say, I'm NOT against the new technology, and I might just get a guru someday, but I am not in a hurry, as I also like the simplicity of cooking the old fashioned way.
    Its served me well for quite a few years, so I'm happy :)
    later,
    Ron.

p.s. Sorry I missed you guys in Havasu.
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Yes I agree with you. I have enjoyed my Eggs for many years and I still don't have most of the new whiz bang things. Its not that I don't like them, its just that I don't want to buy them yet as I am satisfied with things as they are now. I control the temps manually and use home made indirect set ups. Works for me, but I'm not saying it is the right way for others.
    So cook however you feel comfortable with as long as you get the results you like. Its all about your tastes, so enjoy it. ;)
    later,
    Ron.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    Hey, more power to all you purists, but to me the Egg is just a tool. I didn't name it. I don't think about the "Tao" or the "Zen" of it. If it breaks, I'll use the warranty. If it gets stolen, I'll buy another one.

230 degrees for 15 hours by baby-sitt'n is exactly the same as 230 degrees for 15 hours by using a gismo. The Butt will never know the difference.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    The electronics I use; timer and internal meat temp probe and I don't use them very often. I like to go natural, time by the angle of the sun, temp by the look and feel of the fire.
    ;)
  • Katodude00
    Options
    Toys, toys, and more toys!!!! Give me more tools and toys. For me it makes the cook more fun. Controlling it from the computer inside or showing off the the friends as I adjust the temp from the cell phone.

I am now shopping around for a high tempurature fiber optic camera I can stick in the egg and have a remote web cam so that I can also watch my cook remotely.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    you have a stoker then? yes? your advice re: the bemohr was great. do you mind if i e-mail you later today [have to go pay the bill now] with a few stoker questions ?
    bill
  • Katodude00
    Options
    Fire away, I would be happy to answer any questions. And yes I have a Stoker.