Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pork butts

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I nervously tried my first pork butts about a week ago. Thanks to all of your recipes and suggestions on here, I was very pleased with how they came out. I had bought a two-pack of bone-in butts at Sam's Club for about $1.29/lb. I covered one with mustard and one without (we ended up liking the one with mustard better), then packed on some McKormick Pork Rub. (No time to get "the good stuff" yet.)

I put them on the egg at 11PM and was woken up at 3AM by the Maverick because the egg temp dropped to 215. The whole night was a pretty restless one and made us joke that that is what being parents will be like. Went out and stoked the coals, which had mostly lit on one side. Then they stayed right between 215 and 260 for the rest of the cook. After a plateau at 167 internal, the butts proceded up to the 180's, then I bumped the temp up to about 300. One took 12 hours to get to 195 internal and the other took 13. A few quick samples later, I put them in a cooler for 2 hours then I pulled them.

We were VERY happy with how they came out. We liked the Elder Ward vinegar sauce a lot, as well as spicy mustard and BBQ sauce. My wife also made a great coleslaw from her cookbook. One butt fed 8 hungry people one night with a little left over. (Oh yeah, I put it in ABT's too - my first try on those - which was awesome!) Then we had leftovers pretty much all week. Finally last night we had 8 college students over and made individual pizzas with the rest of the pork and some egged chicken breasts. There's STILL enough left over for lunch today!

We're having 30 college students over Friday, so I think I'm going to throw 4 butts on this Thursday night. We can't wait! Thanks again for all of your help. Here are a few pics.

2butts1.JPG

2butts2.JPG

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    Nice looking butts! Sorry, couldn't resisit. Seriously, if they tasted as good as they look then you nailed it on your first try. If you want to blow the next roundup of college kids away, find some Rico's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Sauce (comes in a can - don't try anything else, believe me when I say I have), thin it out with some pickled Jalepeno juice over low stove heat. Then take a mound of thin tortilla chips in a bowl, cover with a couple handfuls of pulled pork, pour on the cheese, a few jalepenos, and the kicker - your favorite BBQ sauce! Man oh man - they will lose their minds!! I did these for the neighbors with my last leftover PP, and they are still asking me for a redo a month later!
  • Wonka
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! My egg mentor (the guy in my church that has a Large and first taught me about the egg) does a similar nacho dish for football parties and everyone loves them.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Don't you just love how much you can fit on the XL. I know when I put one 12 lb packer cut brisket on mine I'm thinking look at all that wasted space. Then I throw on a few fatties, a dozen or so ABT's. Kinda hard to fill that puppy up. Makes for some very fun cooking days. Glad you enjoyed your pork. It's my wifes favorite.
  • Wonka
    Options
    I went through my first bag of lump in 8 cooks (including the overnighter), but the XL is SO worth it! Fitting 4 individual pizzas on there yesterday was awesome. I'll never look back and wish I went with the Large.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Good looking Butts.
    Hammer