Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday's Ribs.......muy delicioso!!!

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mark G chimed in with a simple suggestion that I followed: 1st hour at 250, next two hours at 300-325, and do 'em direct for another 15 minutes or so with the sauce. I did everything except the direct, just pulled them off and sauced them and they got nice and glazed with a good chew quotient after 10-15 minutes.
My set-up for 8.5 lbs. of babybacks:
Removed firering and placed plate setter feet up on top of firebox.
(used equal parts hickory and apple plus some J.Daniels Oak chips).
put a foil-covered drip pan inside the setter and placed the grill extender (smaller rack down)on top of the pan and setter legs, and put 4-6 8" slabs of ribs in there between the lower and top grids. Loaded the rest of the ribs on an upright rib-rack that sat on the upper grid. Ribs had a 24hour coating of JJ's rub. Did not put water in the drip pan, nor did I spray the ribs with apple juice. CAME OUT AWESOME, and everyone loved the KC Struttin' Sauce I made from the Smoke 'n Spice cookbook (again!). Brought what few leftover ribbies I had to work today, and nuked them for about 45 seconds, and folks came flocking into the break room to get a better whiff. Life is good!!
Big Murth
p.s. Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend. Back to reality!

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Did you flip the ribs or rotate them top to bottom grid, etc.
    What made the sauce glaze and chewy if the ribs were off the grill?
    B D

• Big Murth
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    No, I did not flip or rotate the rib sections during the cook, and I could not see any discernable difference between those on the lower grid, and those on top in the rib rack. I think the saucing at the end came off OK indirect, because of the temperature (300)being maintained--I really didn't want them to get too charred anyway. All in all, a pretty low-maintenance cook. I may be inspired to spray with apple juice next time, and see if there's a difference (I would only do that after the first hour of smoke @ 250).
    80 degrees and great golf weather, but alas, work is the curse of the golfing man,
    Big Murth

• Big Murth, any chance of a picture of the setup on the plate setter? Would like to see the four slabs and how they are stacked. Thanks in advance, always trying to fiqure out how to cook more slabs, butts on the egg.

• Big Murth
    Options
    jimmy,
    With the grill(grid)extender placed smaller grid down, I simply placed the slabettes on that lower smaller grid as best I could, to optimize getting all the surface area of each hunk exposed to the smoke and ultimately, cooking temps.
    Dude, if I could figure out how to post a picture to this Forum, I'd be all over it. I am one of those that in computer parlance, suffers from an affliction known as,
    "ESTO"......also known as the "Equipment is Superior to the Operator". Hope this helps!!
    Big Murth

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Boy ouy said it all there. I played 4 times in March and now we're back to the 30's and 40's. Maybe next week. They say in Upstate NY we only have 2 seasons....summer & winter and summer is from June 15 till August 15.
    That's it,
    B D

• Big Murth
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    Just remember....besides getting a great Eggmeal, if you invest in some NM dirt or improved real estate, you'll be playing golf in a sweater/sweatshirt/windshirt while your gal-pal/wife and/or kids are skiing, just 15 miles away. Yup, we've got 4 seasons here...............all mild. When you're ready to change latitudes, etc., you know who to Eggmail.
    Big Murth