Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased my new large Egg and will begin to use it tomorrow. However, I did not purchase any accessories and was wondering which ones you all would recommend to include nice to have but not required. Thanks
John

Comments

• BBQ Guru. It is expensive but definitely the best add on I have purchased so far. Second best but less expensive is the cast iron grill. Nice grill marks. Third thing is a plate setter for indirect cooks. I have others but these three seem to me to be the most important to the way I cook.

Welcome to the club!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    I would agree -- but the plate setter would be my first choice...

~ Broc
  • They need to make that standard equipment. It's just that I don't use it every time and I do use the BBQ Guru every time.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Grid lifter, ash tool, plate setter, extended grid, and an inexpensive remote thermometer(around $15 at Target), a MAPP torch, and a Thermapen. I wouldn't get a Guru until you have mastered temp control, or you never will. -RP
  • John,

Welcome! If you didn't purchase any accessories with the Egg then the following are required items:
    Grill Gripper, Ash tool, and Plate setter. The Plate setter is vital for indirect cooks.

Then a way to light the fire some use a charcoal chimney, others use fire starting gels, I prefer a MAPP torch.

Next up would be a set of heavy gloves. Some use leather welding gloves, I have a pair of silicone gloves that are good to 500F+. They are vital to move a hot plate setter or vegetable pan.

Finally, buy some wood and build a table. See the Naked Whiz's site for plans and ideas and a lot more information (www.nakedwhiz.com)

My two cents.
  • Oh man there are a lot of things I would want to get.

. smaller things for general bbq'ing/grillin
    . Plate setter
    . Flame thrower (weed burner) or instead a Probane or MAPP torch for lighing the lump. In the spring, summer and fall I use cubes or paper towel and oil. Winter time it is just too fetchin cold I want my food egged and then back into the house.
    . Dual probe remote thermometer. RediCheck by Mavaerick ET-73
    . Thermopen Instant Read (I fought getting this for a long time) It made my cooking better
    . Adjustable Rig & Spider (eggaccessories) tjv on the forum.
    . somewhere in the above list a second egg.
    . I can't comment on the cast iron grid as of now I don't have one (spring or summer).

. Down the road some a table, but for me I wouldn't build the egg in. I like AZRP's set up. And will redo my table back to 'egg out' design.

I dont think the list ever ends and I love every minute of it. GG
  • oops, forgot the Guru (DigiQ2) or Stoker. But as said above learn to control your egg then use the powered vent systems.

GG
  • You definitely need to get something that allows you to do indirect cooks. That means a platesetter or some other setup. I did not get the platesetter. Instead, I got the "rig, spider combo setup" from a guy who posts here on the forum. I use a cast iron plate as a deflector on my spider. Just do a search for "spider" and you should find everything you need to know. I think this setup is far more versatile than a platesetter and just as effective.

I would also strongly recommend a thermapen.

Meat
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Platesetter #1 w/o a doubt. Easyst way for indirect cooking and that is the only way to do true bbq. Anything else is really grilling over direct heat. Ash tool and some form of thick leather gloves along with a remote meat thermometer (got a Charmglow remote for around 35 bucks at Home Depot) I love my BBQ Guru Digi Q temp controler but I agree you need to learn the "TOA" OR "The WAY" of charcoal before you get it.
  • That set up works great. I at times invert my spider also. Even with the spider I often use the plate setter (not both at the same time).

The rig & spider is a great combination.

GG
  • John,

Welcome. Drop in, ask questions.

GET addicted...,
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• There's NEEDS and there's WANTS:

Needs:
    - ash tool,
    - something to grip the grill with (I use a pair of pliers),
    - a raised grid for cooking chicken parts and spatchcock,
    - thermapen (expensive but worth it!),
    - platesetter,
    - welding gloves.

That's the basic kit. with that you can cook anything but pizza. Add the pizza stone and there's nothing you can't cook!

the "Wants" list goes on and on.......

Welcome and have fun!
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    You'll also need a digital camera, case, spare batteries, battery charger, flash card reader (or whatever you'll use to off-load all those pictures), etc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    adjustable rig, spider and pizza stone gives you indirect, direct, and raised grill cooking as well as mutiple grill cooks. i would buy 2 pizza stones and a 13.5 inch paella pan to use as a drip pan, casserole pan, paella pan, deep dish pizza pan etc., all these things work very well together for just about any setup.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • That is something I do want to pick up, paella pan. Isn't 13.5" a bit small for making paella?

Very good suggestion for a versitle setup.

GG
  • fishlessman
    big handles on paellas, about 2 inches, a 14 inch paella fits very tight in an egg. you could go bigger, but then you would have to bend or remove the handles. 13.5 inch also moves in and out of the rig better with drippings in it.
    fukahwee maine

• I understand the size for a drip pan, but what about making paella or would doing paella off egg be better?

For a drip pan I got a 15" deep dish (about 1" deep) SS pizza pan. Which works pretty good. I some times use that pan as a barrier for indirect heat. I use the spider inverted then the pan.

GG
  • fishlessman
    paella is one dish i havent done on the egg, naked whiz has a nice writeup on the egg for paellas. it seems small to me as well, you would need a couple pans, but 14 inch would be the max size you could get in there without altering the handles. ive only made them stove top high over a wok burner and my results have been passable,but not great. one thing i notice here is that most that have done them really piled them up, more food, but more like an extreme rice casserole which is fine as well, the ones ive seen look real tasty. there are lots of interpretations of what they should be, the portugues make thin ones where the rice takes center stage highly flavored with fish stocks or chicken stocks with very little extra ingrediants. the spanich make the rice flavored with tomatoes, garlic, peppers and some stock and sometimes load them up with the other ingrediants. it might be worth experimenting with a larger pan and figuring out how to cook it with the lid open the whole time with maybe the bottom vent shut or just opened a little bit
    fukahwee maine

• In my opinion, the ThirdHand grate lifter from forum member Thirdeye is more functional than others.
  • Thank you for the advice. My son lived in Spain for a couple of years and it would be fun to surprise him, if I could get the dish down.

Kent