Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Good, the Bad and the ugly.

Options
BabyBoomBBQ
BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Good:
We'll be welcoming a new egger to our ranks the first week in March! Jim C is a BBQ enthusiast with a bullet style cooker and recent convert to Dizzy Pig rubs. After he had my "mis-injected butt", ribs and brisket, (thanks again Dr. BBQ, Thirdeye, Natureboy and everyone else who is slipping my mind), he decided he wants a BGE. Yahoo, my third convert! We've even talked about starting a BBQ team.

The Bad:
Last week, Jim learned he has metastasized cancer. He's retiring from the DOD March 1st and he wants a BGE as his retirement gift. So, I've been asked help facilitate acquisition and assembly of a BGE. I'll be teaching him everything I know as well.

The Ugly:
I called the local dealer and happily discovered they had everything in stock. However, they had no idea at all about a new gasket. I know he'll want to do high temp cooks and the last darn thing I want him to deal with is a fried gasket!

Can anyone tell me how I can tell if it's the new gasket? Do you think I should just order a couple and install it during assembly?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Bryan

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friends bad news. I was told a couple of days ago on this forum that the mothership has these gaskets for about $17 for a large. Would probably be easier to put on before assembly but they say wait 24hrs. before cooking. Good Luck!
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    I suppose that's the best bet. I have enough time to get the new gasket from the mothership. I'll check the gasket on it tomorrow. I'm guessing I'd notice something different about a new one.

Thanks!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    The bad: Makes you realize how blessed we all are. Prayes with you and your partner. Teach 'em all you know.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend, BabyBoom. I'll pray that Jim gets as much time as Heaven will allow him to enjoy life and Eggin.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    so sorry to hear about your friend!!!!! :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    VERY sad BabyBoom..so sorry to hear about your friend...hope he gets many hours of pleasure using is egg.....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,

Truly saddened to hear of your friend's condition. We hope that he can get the long side of the time. Truly terrible disease. It is our hope that he can discover the joys of the egg.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I'd get the new gasket from the mothership and just hold on to it until needed. Not all gaskets burn away at high temps.

I am truly sorry to hear about our new friend's challenge. I'll be happy to help in any way that I can. If possible, I would suggest taking him to some of the fests so that he might tune in quicker to what he likes and wants to try. The diversity of cooking at the fests is amazing. I'll add him to our prayers and I look forward to talking to him on the forum.
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    Thank you for the kind replies everyone. I attended a meeting today with his co-workers and learned the plan. We purchased the large BGE in stock at the MCAS Miramar BBQ Galore today. The surprise delivery will actually be next Tuesday, well before the retirement party. His brother is concerned about his reaction to chemotherapy & wants to get it to him ASAP.

I'll see what the gasket is later and will probably order a pair of the new ones from Atlanta. I know he wants a power draft solution, but we thought it better for him to decide what he wants.

Thanks again all,

Bryan
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Quality of time is sometimes better than quantity. When we knew that my Nana was not going to have all the time we hoped due to cancer we packed a lot of quality in there. Just try to keep the focus on WHAT you are doing not WHY. And be great full of the warning. I don't know what is worse snatched with no warning or time to build memories. Julie