Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How is the best way to do baby back ribs? Direct or indirect heat?

Comments

• Suck Creek Wings
    Options
    I'm going indirect at 250. This is my first attempt so we'll see how they turn out.
  • I have heard two different ways. One as direct heat in a V rack and the other is with a plate setter upside down, drip pan (with a beer in it) then the grate and V rack. I just don't know which is best.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    th_101_0369.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GangGreen
    Options
    Go 3/1/1.5

3 hours indirect with platesetter in @ 225-250

1 hour in foil...still indirect

45 minutes indirect

for last 45 remove platesetter and cook direct

sauce in last 15 minutes.

Come out great everytime (probably about 20 so far)
  • NEAT! Looks like you did yours direct?????
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    oh well it did not work well there is more than one way to skin a cat!!! :laugh:

coat with mustard,...
    101_0369.jpg

add rub
    101_0371.jpg
    wrap in plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight

101_0380.jpg
    now here is where it gets interesting
    i put thenm in a vrack for awhile

101_0381.jpg

i squirt them with a squirt bottle with apple juice in it
    101_0383.jpg

here is where i found out 3 will work on a lbge

101_0384.jpg
    squirt with apple juice every hour
    almost done

101_0385.jpg

then you sauce about 20 min before you take them off the egg
    101_0387.jpg

101_0388.jpg

i use cherry wood and indirest at about 250 degrees (dome)

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I'm a newbie here (almost 3 months of Eggin')and have had wonderful success with pork butts, steak, & chicken. However, the perfect rib cook remains beyond my grasp, butt (NPI) I won't keep tryin'!
    Rascal
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I generally do the first three hours indirect at 250* dome, in a V-rack with a plate setter upside down and a drip pan underneath. Then remove the ribs and foil with a splash of apple juice inside, cooking another hour indirect directly on the grate, without the V-rack. Then one last hour, direct and unfoiled, saucing the last half hour or so.

You'll see variations on this in the replies...all are good, all work. It's a matter of preference, and you'll find what you like as you Egg more.
  • BUBBA
    BUBBA Posts: 16
    Options
    Pintail,[p]direct
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    bubba,[p]Direct???
  • Go to nakedwhiz.com and check out his recipes / techiniques for Baby Back Ribs...or Wess B's site....or the Dizzy Pig site....Probably check out the 3-1-1 method....Which involves putting the ribs on indirect for 2-3 hours at 300 Dome...Taking them off and putting them in a foil pouch with a splash of liquid (like apple juice) and then put them back on indirect for about 35 - 45 minutes....and then take the plater setter out...take the ribs out of the foil....sauce and flip three or four times over the direct fire....and you're good to go.....But just tossing them on for the first time and hoping for great results is a real roll of the dice....a crap shoot if you will.......3-1-1 is the way to go....But it's more like 2.5-45-sauce and flip and you'll get some pretty nice ribs your first time out! Hit those websites hard and do your pre-cook homework and your chances of ruining meat decreases......

Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Like the times and temp he gave as well. :woohoo:

Mike
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    It is really sad, we just finished dinner and I am drooling on this site. I could not eat a bite if I had too and i am planning more food! LOL Julie