Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MickeyT Temp Rings- Data Points

Options
Mark G
Mark G Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished cooking a London Broil using the temp rings MickeyT sent me so I have one data point to start out with. I used ring #7(#1 being the smallest hole) and had the lower vent half way open for a steady temp of 480°.[p]Hopefully everyone will add a few points this weekend and we can compile a comprehensive, user-friendly chart.[p]I'll be doing baby backs tomorrow so I'll be aiming for about 250°.[p]Mark G

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mark G,[p]I am firing Mr Big up to do some pork chops with Ken Stone's rub at 600° - then going down to 350° to do a 1 lb pork loin. I am playing with the #8 ring now waiting to see where it stabilizes.
    Good cooking to ya![p]Tim

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Mark G,
    These temp rings, do they sit on top instead of the daisy wheel? Uf not, how are they used?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Wardster,
    Nevermind, I just read the posts....

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    marked rings 1 smallest to 11 largest hole size.
    did a 3hour ribs on indirect heat with 2 fire bricks on grate with rib-rack sitting on foil pan. bottom vent 1/4" open using #5 ring for steady 300°F
    did ribs:rub + mustard + more rub, added 2 fistfull dampened apple chips to fire & then last hour brushed with cattleman BBQ sauce.
    while feasting my Son-in-law groaned with pleasure (looks like he might buy an egg soon :>) )

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Mark G,[p]I was also playing with the #7 and #8 last night. The disks are interesting but I can see some variations in temps from yours vs mine. My #8 gave me about 425° and the #7 was about 375°. I am guessing you had a larger pile of lump than I did and that might make a difference. It seems it might still take a tweak or two to get the right disk for the temp you want. We need to do more experimenting I see.
    I tried the #11 as I was doing my pork chops. It held 650° pretty well but my lump was dwindling fast since I was playing with the disks for 45 min prior and I only started with a 1/2 full load.[p]Tim

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    I'm ashamed to say my two sons in law cook on those metal topped things and one of them uses GAS! Can you imagine!
    However, in their feeble defence, when I do acook on the Egg when they are all here they eat like the Russian army is in the next town. There's no doubt about the fact they love the food off Mr. Egg though. My only observations are that they are too slow to learn how to use the Egg or they would rather see their father in law do the cooking.
    I'm going to have to revise my will I think. I doubt that will stop them from eating everything in sight though. ;>)