Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price of pork butt

Options
Meatatarian
Meatatarian Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to smoke my first pork butt this weekend, and I don't have a clue what kind of price per pound it will cost when I get to the store. I would appreciate a little insight so I don't overpay by a couple bucks a pound.

I'll also welcome any tips or suggestions for purchasing a pork butt. Anything to look for or avoid? Thanks in advance.

The generic plan: Buy a pork butt, smear some rub on it, cook it on the LGE indirect at 225-235 until internal temp is 195, let it rest for an hour or so, pull it apart, feast.

Meat

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    I'd suggest moving the dome temp to 250. 225-235 is a little low.

My last butt purchase was $1.16/lb but that was on sale and only if buying a full cryopak containing 2 butts for a total of 16 lbs.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Picked up 2 today for $1.39 lb but that was from butcher not box store.
    total weight was just over 19 lbs.

Pat
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have done a few pork buts in my time! i found that when putting on the rub it tends to stick to the butts better if you use some mustard first. some say to rub the butt before and put it into the fridge for 8...10...12.. hours. i usually just rub it and throw it on. i have found very little diffrence when i let the rub sit on the but for a couple hours and when i don't. as far as buying just make sure you buy one in the 7-10 lb range. i like them better than the 3-6 pounders. i usually trim off some of the exterior fat to make more "bark". you can place them fat up or fat down if you go with down the final product comes out a little less "greasier" IMHO.

as for pointers on the eggin itself. i usually take out all the leftover lump out and shake it to get more ash off. then i clean out as much ash as i can. if you are using started cubes break one into pieces and place one of the pieces into the bottom grate. so that you can light the coal from underneath. i just pour some lump in, others "build" their fire box. i place some chunks of unsoaked cherry wood in for flavor. place them through out the lump so that difrent pieces catch fire at diffrent times.

i usually let my butts "rest" in a preheated cooler for up to three hours. two is proabably better. here are some pics for you

here is one i did in the rain

100_0058.jpg

here is three ready to be wrapped in aluminum foil and put to rest in the heated cooled

DSCN0336.jpg

you can see the mustard in this photo

DSCN0084.jpg

top view

DSCN0083.jpg

HTH

let me know i will try to help you more...

one last thing i always buy bone in so the dog will like me

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Meatatarian
    Options
    Thanks to all. I've been looking forward to smoking a butt for a few months now, but I kinda got addicted to ribs. I seem to have licked that problem, but then I got hooked on chicken wings. Thanks again.

Meat
  • Bente,

Where did you get the rain deflector that is on top of the egg? I put together a foil contraption, but your's looks much better. thanks.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    pork meat has different names, butt picnic shoulder i have some links about cuts of meat from this forum. you do want to avoid water added products which i believe are sometimes labeled "minimally processed" hopefully one of our more experienced bretheren will read this and provide more guidance in purchasing.. also be sure to read tnw, wessB, and third~eye's sites.
    bill
  • BENTE
    Options
    i bought it at ace hardware for like $7

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lowercasebill
    Options
    it also protects the egg from alien probings
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    That's about what I paid for this guy:

DSC00095.jpg
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    That looks good. What kind of wireless thermonitor is that? :laugh:
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    I use the mustad; then rub; refrigerate over night; do the elder ward method for the charcoal to prevent running out of lump; set the guru to 200 internal, and let it cook while I do other things!
    Hammer
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    .89¢ a pound at the base this morning. Wanted to pick up a couple of butts but TLW was in a hurry and said we had no space in the freezer. Ho well . . .
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Plan sounds about right. I'm stocking up for some sausage making as well.

Mike
  • BENTE
    Options
    my guru is on the fritz. but i have done a couple buts this year. i am glad i learned to control the temp before i got my guru. i did have to get up for my overnighter twice butt just to check on things ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    You're not by yourself..I had my eggs many years before I got a guru. I still do things without the guru just to keep my skills in place.
    Hammer
  • every day and a place called mac's They also have fresh picnics for 0.69 this week I believe. We've got some great deals in town. Ribeye's at Krogers for 4.99. Gonna get fat and sassy this weekend LOL Friend of mine's gonna do Ribs in his regular grill and he THINKS their the best ever. hehehehe Our mutual friends have eaten his and they can't touch mine but I'm doing my Brisket and ain't no ribs gonna beat my brisket, OK I am taking backup though, taking 3 fatties so I shod kick his butt LOL
  • BENTE
    Options
    i usually only do it if i have to see........... i am lazy :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb