Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Polls

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well it looks like WMK is wanting more answers from all of us.. i like the fact that i may not be the majority but i still get a say in how things are done around here...

thanks WMK for making eggin more user friendly B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Thanks again for making the forum a nice place for everyone!
    ivotedsticker.gif
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Democracy only works if people participate and those in charge listen.

I at least like the opportunity to express my opinion. Thanks WMK et al
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    I, too, like the sensitivity to the likes and dislikes of readers/posters. I realize that for a "quick and dirty" poll like this one was, there's not a good opportunity for further comment, so I'm going to put my "karma comments" here.

I don't have a high opinion of anyone who would post to gain karma points, or not post to avoid losing them. This forum isn't about a popularity contest, it is about learning from one another and being civilized while teaching, learning and looking on.

If I were mean or snide, I don't think losing karma points would change that. Il think someone (not only the webmaster) should post or e-mail me to the effect "Lighten up, bozo; everyone was a newbie once".

That's my $0.02, adjusted for inflation.

Ken
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i know what you mean i personally would like it if when someone smited me or applauded me it should be viewable on my profile to me and to me only then if i had a problem with the way they handled it i could correspond with that person via email. it would cut out all the smiting just to be mean!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just so we are all on the same page...and to "enlighten" (sorry for the karmactic pun) those not knowing... you can't gain or lose Karma merely by posting... Karma can only be awarded to you by another registered user, and once you give someone Karma, good or bad, you can't give Karma again, to anyone, for another six hours... please use it sparingly, and when it is really useful to others. The idea of Karma is to applaud those helpful to other forum users... and, on occasion, to "smite" those being less than helpful, rude, or possibly confrontational.... which of course NEVER happens ;)

It is implemented as a "running total" from which a karma point is added or subtracted.

I think the idea of notifying someone that they have received karma, either negative or positive, along with a comment by the "bestower", is a good suggestion... I'll suggest to WMK that we consider adding that as an extension to the feature. I'd also suggest, as has the Lama, being able to BAN someone from giving Karma in a "reckless" or belligerent manner.... a Karmic "penalty box" if you will.

We could of course just eliminate the feature... I personally think karma is kind of cool and enjoy getting as much good karma as I can... you dont have to use it.... it's just a feature to make the user EGGsperience in the forum more FUN!.... the operative word being FUN!

BTW, the Lama's been lurking again, and he reminds us all to, once again, to practice our deep breathing and SPEND MORE TIME EGGING!
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I myself enjoy those little digs and powder puff slaps that I see from time to time. It doesn't seem like any animosity or hurt feelings. Just funning with each other.
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I myself enjoy those little digs and powder puff slaps that I see from time to time. It doesn't seem like any animosity or hurt feelings. Just funning with each other.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I really like this idea.

It is a good way to track Karma.

I know that there are some top notch posters that are being attacked, and therefore a reason not to have it.

However, I would like to reward those same posters for the valuable information that they provide.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    except consider that CW has been logged on and active maybe three days total, and he's -11 or so.

now, i'm the first guy to give him grief, but -11 is obviously a sign of someone d!cking with him.

i think if you could see who gave you the karma (up or down) it would mean more.
    if you saw one person gave CW 5 negatives, you could dismiss that pretty easily as some nut simply dogging him.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Rewarding the virtuous has never been an issue - either e-mail them directly or do an OT post saying Hey that was a neat post - thanks for doing it.

As to the negative side of things: it seems to me that the obnoxious folks are that way for the attention they can get - ignore them and they go away (not soon enough, granted, but they do) Respond to them, or give them negative karma, and it just fuels their tiny little fire.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Stike,

I was wondering about that it is much more than -11 as I have personally bumped him with a + two times and I am sure others have plused him.

This is odd.

Kent