Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beer can chicken?

Options
sholedc
sholedc Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my egg a few weeks ago and I love it. I've had a few friends over for a couple of cookouts and it was VERY succesful. A little TOO succesful, as now they call me every Saturday and want to come over and let me cook for them. Anyways, they've requested beer can chicken for today. I've never actually done this myself. Any help?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I do them all the time. Indirect at225-250 about a four hour cook. Very moist and great flavor.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • easygoinjay
    Options
    I usually do them at a higher temp. You can do it either way, but the high-temp method takes less time and usually results in better skin. Go indirect at 350-400 and it will take somewhere around an hour. I don't usually time the cook, I have a remote therm in the breast of the chicken and monitor that. I also check the thigh temp when I pull it.

Rub the outside and under the skin with a favorite rub and mount it on a half-full beer can. I sometimes put garlic in the beer, but I'm not sure it really comes through. Also, throw on a chunk of cherry or apple smoke wood if you like. It's easy once you've done it a couple of times. Enjoy!
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Here is a easy recipe that you can do with great results. Check out the link.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
    I used to do vertical roasted chicken but I like the results using the link above so much I don't do them much anymore the other way :cheer:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Be careful with the smoke as I've read that a little goes a long way with poultry! BTW, you can beer-can Cornish hens using 5.5oz. juice cans. Works great! Happy chicken!
    8 - ) Rascal
    CornHen2.jpg
  • Katodude00
    Options
    I will second the spatchcock method. I used to be a big beercan chicken guy until I tried spatchcocking. Let me tell you it is easy fast and some of the best chicken I ever tasted.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    :laugh: GLAD SOMEONE AGREES!
    Seriously, I was skeptical about the results until I heard people rave about it in the old forum. Then I reluctantly gave it a try and had to eat crow :sick:
    THEN I Became a believer :silly:
    ~Pharmeggist
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I don't use beer or liquid as the chickens come out really moist as is.

Season as you like, put on vertical roaster and put in the egg at 400 dome for about an hour. I don't worry too much about the time as I cook to the desired done meat temp.

If you really want some goodies get a deep drip pan (10 x 14 or so). slice up an equal mount of onions and spuds, either baker's or red's. Depending on how much heat you want add a couple of hot petters and a 2 or 3 anahiem peppers. If you want some color add some bell peppers also. Add some s&p had have some cheese ready to add later on.

Put the drip vegie pan on the egg then the vertical chicken roaster over the drip pan and let it cook. about 10 minutes or so before add a lot of cheese over the goodies in the drip pan. A little more salt if needed and you are up for some mighty good eats.

Sometimes I need to stir the vegies a little during the cook and sometimes I don't . You will have to look and make a judgment call. Also, I at times add the vegie tray about 15 to 20 minutes into the chicken cook.

You want enough time for the sputs to soften, onions to get a bit caramalized and for the peppers to soften.

Another 'goody tray' is some dieced tomatoes and onions and seasoning. We sometimes add green beans and corn. When the chicken comes off we cut it up and put it all over a plate of cooked rice.

There is s ton of modifications you can make to these suggestions. It is pretty hard to get anything bad.

Good eggin, Kent