Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP Torch

East Cobb Eggy
East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I relented and got a MAPP torch and tried it out this evening.

Wow, what a difference. I was using BGE firestarters before but this took half the time to get up to temp.

Definitely worth it thus far.

Greg

Comments

• 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    The next step...the weed burner.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    If you want fast.Right on.Right on.Let the fire get started.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    They're the best, aren't they? I really like how fast they get the lump going--no messing around.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    I have used the MAPP Torch for 4 years.

Igintion results from draft air. I frequently accelerate the air flow with a hand held blower.

BGE recently offered a "snap-in" blower to accenerate ignition. They sell it for $100. Most dealers don't know about it.

I bought one & am waiting for the temp to rise above 0 here in metro Kansas City to try it.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I'd be afraid that the sparks would just get to my face/hair/clothes faster if the blower was going underneath. I always start the cookers with the draft door wide open, but I think that I may reassign my heat shrink tubing blower as the official ignition accelerator. The air out of that thing is HOT, and can only help get the cookers going even faster.

How long does a tank of MAPP last? I generally take about 45 seconds to a minute to light the lump well enough for it to sustain. The tank came with the Bernzomatic torch head I bought. I did see some replacement tanks for less than $10. Can't really remember the exact cost, though.