Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE - Which Vertical Roaster

Peter Creasey
Peter Creasey Posts: 253
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which vertical roaster should I get for a Large BGE?

I assume that a turkey roaster can also be used for a chicken; thus, I believe I just want a vertical turkey roaster.

Which vertical turkey roaster for a Large BGE?

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Found one at Home Depot, I am sure your egg dealer will have one also.
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Found one at Home Depot, I am sure your egg dealer will have one also.

G, The two I've seen are the BGE and the Spanek. Anybody have a preference?

Can the vertical turkey roaster also be used for a chicken? Or do I need to buy both?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    FWIW, you would do better with a V-Rack and do a turkey normally. Wal Mart has beer can chicken holders for 3 bucks. Hope this helps.

Phil
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    I have had a complete set of the Spanek for 10 years. I am totally satisfied with the set. It includes a turkey, chicken & game hen verticals.

It is the only way I cook fowl. By inserting the Spanek the bird cook from the inside & outside. The inside airflow acts as a chimney.

See his website.
  • I have Spaneks.
    You need to buy verticles to fit the bird you are cooking. A chicken will not fit on a turkey roaster and a turkey will likely tip a chicken roaster over. They also sell small ones for Cornish Hens.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Peter,

I used the vertical (beercan) roaster for the first time Friday. I do have a turkey vertical and I think I could use that for a chicken, but I didn't. I have a collapsable vertical and a rigid vertical. Both worked well.

For me the vertical stands are just something more to clean and store. Spatchcock on a raised grid was excelent and every bit as good as the verticals I did last Friday.

I don't think I would do a turkey on a vertical stand.

The stands are not all that expensive so if it interests you pick one up and give it a try. Make sure you try a spatchcock also - see The Naked Whiz site for instructions.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Peter, I used the vertical (beercan) roaster

Kent, Sorry to be dense...what is a beer can roaster?
  • I second the Spanek. My set is at least 16 years old and still in excellent shape. I lent my turkey sized roaster to my sister in law and when she moved they somehow lost it. When I picked up my egg in October last year I just had to do a vertical turkey on it. Picked up a new turkey roaster from my egg dealer. Used it 2 times and the steel doesn't seem to be the same quality as the Spanek. It is already showing discoloration and rust in the welds where my original Spanek set still looks new. Here is a pic of a 14 lb. on the egg.
    DSC01278.jpg
  • Nessmuk
    The turkey Spanek is 10" high. The chicken is shorter & the game hens even smaller.

I cook only "capons". They are about the size of a 10# turkey. Check out persons won't know what a capon is, so make sure they ring it up correctly.
  • Nessmuk
    I tried the original "beer can" once but abandoned it because of the paint & possible tainting the product. Besides, it cannot act as a flu & cook the bird from the outside & inside.

Clean the Spanek in the dishwasher.
  • Nessmuk wrote:
    I have had a complete set of the Spanek for 10 years. I am totally satisfied with the set. It includes a turkey, chicken & game hen verticals.

N (and everyone), Thanks for the good feedback.

I found a Spanek Vertical Roaster Collection on eBay and got it for $8.99. Pretty good deal, I think.