Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you prep your ribs??

Options
2»

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The size of the ribs gives a hint on how long they are going to take. So 3-1-1 will work fine on a rack that was 5 lbs. before trimming, but 6 pounders are likely to need an extra hour or so.

I've started substituting oil for mustard as a rub base. It holds the spices just as well, and forms something of a vapor barrier so the ribs steam themselves, making them tender. I find that putting the oil/rub mix on about 2 hours ahead gets the spice flavor into the meat pretty well. I've also started mopping toward the end with an oil based mixture. This has worked best for me so far in producing a nice thick spice crust. When I used mops that were mostly water, some of the rub washed off.

gdenby
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Very good.

I used some of the oil on my TRex steaks the other night and they came out very nice.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Very cool.

I think I am definitely missing the pasty part.

Greg
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Thanks Greg. I'm not sure if the sugar adds extra bark or not, I just like a bit of sweet with my pork - I think many of the Dizzy rubs already have turbinado sugar in them, but I like to add more.

The apple juice/vinegar spray idea I borrowed from Nature Boy. I like the tangy kick it adds to them.

Cheers!!

TRex
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    I used to foil, and I see nothing wrong with it, but I'm just plain lazy. I like to throw them on there and forget about them (except for the spritzing, which just gives me opportunities to admire their progress).

Cheers,

TRex
  • ChitownBBQ
    Options
    This is a question with no single answer - as you can see by the variety of replies.

One of the big questions is what kind of ribs? For full spares I use at least 6 hours on the smoker, usually 2 wrapped. For babybacks 3.5ish with 1 to 1.5 wrapped.

Some folks don't like the hassle of wrapping and others maintain that it makes the ribs 'mushy'.

When preparing for my 1st contest, one of the things that kept cropping up was a statement "Show me a guy that doesn't wrap and I'll show you a guy that doesn't win contests - you can make a killer rib without rapping, but not a winner". I have NO idea how accurate that is, but I know my ribs improved once I started wrapping - both spares and backs.

As for the mushy part, that's what the '1' after the wrap is for, to crisp some of the moisture back out of them once they've steamed in the foil (I like to dribble some Guinness in there for steam).

There are some other odds & ends that I believe in:

1. I don't care for the mustard binder, I like Frank's Hot Sauce.

2. Since I use Frank's to hold the rub on, I don't put cayenne or salt in my rub, letting the binder add some of that.

3. With a spicy binder, don't rub too far in advance - I let them sit overnight once and I loved them, but about killed the wife...

Of course, your mileage may vary and you need to go with what works for you and your audience. More than likely, you'll see some suggestions you like and some you don't..

Good Luck and enjoy the experiments!

Kevin
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I think I definitely need something to bind.

Also, if I am to wrap, I have not been doing this with the meat side down. Therefore, this would not do what it is intended "to add more moisture".

Also, I like the idea of a spritzer to keep them moist.

I definitely have some things to try and will let you know the results.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone load 'em up with BBQ sauce and let em sit for awhile before the cook (even overnight)?
    I've wondered how that would turn out. Think I tried it once but didn't have spectacular results one way or the other.

When you spritz, try removing the daisy cap and spritz thru the chimney. That way you don't open the dome or interfere with the cook.

I'm thinking ribs might be in order this weekend........
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you sauce them before going on, you'll have a blackened mess when you are done....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    There are a few steps to cooking ribs. The one mistake I used to make was adding the rub the night before. The reason this was a mistake was that my rub had a lot of salt in it and tended to draw all the wetness from the ribs. The ribs that can hopefully be see below have not been sauced and can see how juicy they are. I had to cut them down to fit better on the grill. I really liked an earlier suggestion about taking a rib off every so often and tasting so that you can see/tell the difference yourself. What I consider to be the perfect rib may not be what you care for. Foiling will make them more juicy, but definately put it back on the grill to firm up. I don't anyone who started out making the perfect rib. Practice is best.

DSCI0015-1.jpg
  • Wasted Words
    Options
    I use Baby Backs, membrane removed, add yellow mustard then a mix of Adam's Rib Rub & DD. The mustard seems to work well with the rubs to create an even coat which locks to the ribs once the heat sets it up. I'm sure the vinegar helps the meat breakdown as well (as stated earlier).
    So far the 3/1/1 has worked fine. I add a spritz (cider vinegar & apple cider or Apple Juice) after the second hour during the first phase.
    I foiled them (with spritz mix in foil) for step two & I've also simply tented them (BGE was too packed to move them). Both worked well, but when I tented I continued to spritz during phase two. I usually spritz every 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. I'm also watching the dryness of the ribs.
    The final phase has been as short as 30 minutes depending on how the ribs react to a couple test (pull bone, meat pulling up the bone).
    Cowlick or Sweet Baby Rays added by brush once they are pulled. At some point I think I'll experiment with different cuts and processes, but this works for now. B)
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    That is a great idea to pull off a rib and try it first.

Greg
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    Take the membrane off the night before, take 1 large can of Pineapple Juice and put it and the ribs into one of those super large ziplock bags. Let it sit over night. Next day just dry off with a paper towel,simply rub her down with your favorite rub and coat the outside with brown sugar and rub it all in. Cook how ya want to but I've found that the 3-1-1 cooks baby backs to much, I've cooked them them that way on several occasion and they're about liked pulled pork. The meat just shreads to much for me. Guess I like a little pull on them.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Wow.... very interesting.

I just might have to try that one.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Sweet Baby Ray is definitely good stuff.

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    I would have thought you were using the Screw Up (Still Needs a Name) Method....man.......
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Squeeze
    Options
    Don, if you want another picture of what all those great Pineapple Enzymes are doing to your meat, eat a bunch, I mean like a whole pineapple then report back to us.....
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I don't understand the "screw up method", please explain.
  • DonDon
    DonDon Posts: 89
    Options
    Actually doing it this way came from a JUDGE at memphis in May. Alot of the contestants do that for the contest actually. Adds some sweetness to it along with breaking the meat down. I did a trial run on 2 slabs. 2 that way and 2 without doing it. Liked the Pineapple way better personally
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    my favorite jamaican jerk marinade in a jar is from tropical pepper company and all of those ribs were marinaded with it.

tropical pepper company, island jerk seasoning
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Cool, so you got to meet him. I was just a tv fan, but I really respected his cooking knowledge, and enjoyed his entertaining demeanor. -RP
  • Squeeze
    Options
    If you cook ribs properly however, you do not need enzymes to break the meat down. You can just go to Applebys for that great parboiled type.
    Kevin Jacques
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com