Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Pizza

Options
Matt
Matt Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, All --

Got a plate setter and pizza stone from Santa -- here's my first try. I used Alton Brown's dough. Toppings were smoked tomatoes, goat cheese, red onion, artichoke hearts, and spinach. I'm a convert.

Matt

pizza2.jpg

pizza1.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Nicely done. Great browning on the top.

They become very addictive, so be aware.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Nice pizza, Matt. What sauce did you use? Did you make your own?
  • Matt
    Options
    I made sauce -- chopped smoked tomatoes from last year's garden, dry roasted garlic, olive oil, Mexican oregano, crushed dried Bolivian rainbow chiles (also last year's garden), and some kosher salt. I swear, it doesn't matter how many tomatoes I smoke and freeze, I always run out before the next crop comes in....

Matt
  • Matt
    Options
    Thanks, Fidel -- the second one actually browned a bit better on the top. I think the Egg was a tad hotter. The second was smoked chicken (spatchcocked yesterday), red onion, smoked tomato sauce, and homemade pickled jalapenos.

I sense the addiction -- I'm already thinking about tomorrow night....

Matt
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Hmm...that sounds like a good-tasting recipe. Where do you get all the imported/exotic ingredients? Do you grow them at home or order them from overseas?
  • Matt
    Options
    Mike --

The tomatoes are from my garden. I have an electric smoker (blasphemy!) and I load it up several times a summer with extra tomatoes. Once smoked, I freeze and use until the next year. The Bolivian rainbow chiles I grow in my garden, too. Mexican oregano comes from my local international market, and the rest are from the grocery store (Harris Teeter). Nothing exotic, just varied.

Matt
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Matt,

Thanks for the replies...I really ought to start cooking other things. Ever since getting my first BGE in October, I've been doing lots of research here on the forum and related websites, as well as learning how to adapt my techniques so that recipes will come out the same (or better) on the egg.
  • Bahmanicious
    Options
    Matt wrote:
    I sense the addiction -- I'm already thinking about tomorrow night....

Matt

:laugh: What my wife says all the time. I'm always thinking ahead to the next cook, even before I finish the one I'm on at the moment. Enjoy your new addiction.
    Best,
    WA
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Great looking pizza. :cheer: The top looked like it brown up perfect. How was the bottom for browning and crispiness.

Pork Butt Mike
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Matt,

I must say that looks good this morning! After nearly 10 years with a large Egg I have yet to do pizza. (he said with head hanging in shame)

Your art work above is an inspiration!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    10 years with a large and NO PIZZA??? WOW LOL it is one of our favorites.
    this is last night pulled pork BBQ pizza. Julie
    bbqpz2.jpg
    bbqpz.jpg
  • Matt
    Options
    The bottom was nicely browned with a couple of tell-tale dark brown spots and it was crisp as a cracker.

Matt