Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just went out to get the grill ready for ribs today, and the top is sealed shut. I have been away for a few weeks, it rained here like crazy, but the egg was covered. I am reluctant to shove something in there for fear of damaging the seal. Any one know what's happened?[p]I live in CA, so it isn't frozen water....

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dale,[p]Don't panic.[p]Get a firestarter cube, when burning fully, drop in down the top vent.[p]You may need 2 and once in a while one may be needed to be put in the bottom vent.[p]Kent.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Grandpas Grub, Intelligent minds do think alike! 8 - )

• Thanks guys.[p]I just reached Darry (my dealer) and I burned off the gasket, if anyone is interested to learn from my mistake...[p]Last use was Pizza, I had the egg up to 650 for an hour or two, BUT I had a very large pizza stone (16 in.) directly over the coals, at the level of the gasket. The stone was so hot in fact the dough burned in just 30 seconds, should have put the plate setter below the stone. I can't imagine how hot the stone got, and thus the gasket only an inch away, but once I got the top open just now, there was almost no gasket left to scrape off.[p]I'm off to Eggs By The Bay for a new gasket and I'm back in business, in time for ribs today. And much the wiser.[p]Dale

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Dale,[p]No help needed here. I am a self taught gasket burner X3.[p]Make sure you get the 'new' stuff.[p]Kent
  • Grandpas Grub,[p]What do you mean "new stuff". I did get a new BGE brand gasket from Darry. Back in business.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    BGE dealers may have the old 'felt' gasket or the new Nomex gasket. Nomex = better.