Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Kosher Pickel but a Huge Chunk of Meat!

Options
Luvs to shoot clay
Luvs to shoot clay Posts: 774
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The relatives relented and allowed me to cook. A brisket was suggested but when I headed to Costco last night, they were out till today. I bought what I thik we call a shoulder clod. The package says it is a beef chuck roast. The beamoth weighed 18.58 pounds. I covered it in Byron's Butt Rub and put it on last night @ 225 degrees with some lump and pecan chunks. This morning it is at 170 degrees after 10 hours. Anyone suggest what temperature to pull it and wrap it at? Now let's see if I can post a picture of it?
[img size=150][/img]ChuckwBBR.jpg

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    This should work unless it's too large:

ChuckwBBR.jpg
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Dang, I'm still setting here trying to do this!! Tell me what you did and just use the "Short School Bus Words" :lol:
    Any ideas on what temp to pull this chunk?
  • TRex
    Options
    Copy and paste the IMG tag from your Photobucket albumn directly into the forum message box, as I've indicated in this picture below (the one that's circled):

woohelp.jpg

Hope this helps,

TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    I think I'd pull that sucker between 195 and 200 internal, or when a shish-ka-bob skewer can be inserted and pulled out of the thickest portion without a lot of resistance (pull back) from the meat.

Post some pics of the final product!

TRex
  • I think you are supposed to wrap and take it up to 190-195, like brisket, then let rest in a cooler for 1-3 hours. Neve cooked one, but heard they make for great pulled beef sandwiches. Good luck.

Brett
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Picture posting is a little complicated, but if you do it the same way every time, it's not so bad. Right now, you must use a third party picture host, like photobucket. (Eventually, I think we'll be able to browse our own hard drives and post them directly.)

Also, only certain size photos can be posted. If we're using the Classic View (set up in our profiles) the largest size photo that will work is 800 x 600. If we do it with larger ones in that view, it will only show the link, but not the pic. If we use the regular views, a 1024 x ? WILL work. I would suggest you use pics no larger than 800 x 600 so that everyone, no matter which setting they're using, will see them.

When you go out to photobucket to retrieve the photo, there's an editer (photo sizer) that you can use if it's not already the correct size. There are 4 choices below each pic. Use the the bottom one: IMG Code. Just click on the filename (this 'copies' the file to your clipboard). Then go back over to your text in the forum and paste it whereever you want it. Don't try to use any kind of codes like with your post. Just use a simple paste.  Hope this helps.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Are you sure it is not a chuck roll?

Most folks wrap and finish chuck rolls that way, not just to protect the color but for a tenderizing step like us often used on smaller chuckies.

If it is in fact a shoulder clod, they can acually be cooked either way. They will have areas of fat on each end, and some gristle to deal with. Carve around it when separating each muscle. Some will be less tender and lend themselves to chopping instead of pulling.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Dang, that's good. Like a picture book. Cool ;)
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    The meat is at 180 now, I am going to wrap it and bring it on to about 197. Will post a picture tomorrow after the party. May have to have TRex's expert help again but hope not.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Disregard my clod/chuck roll question below. That does look like a clod from here.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    I made a second post under T-Rex's with your picture...I still have not gotten the hang of putting my answer where I want it ;)

Anyway, that sure looks like a clod not a roll. Sounds like you are on the right track. Waiting to see pictures....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    How is the birthday gal doing? What did you do to raise her skirt??
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Man, that is a huge piece of meat. That should be good to feed the whole block, eh?