Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi temp clean out

Options
slyrye
slyrye Posts: 135
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can somebody clue me in as to time and temp for the self clean mode? I don't see that on my tstat.
sly

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    it was recommended to me to burn about 600 for an hour or so. i did 950 for > hour after 2 years of egging with out a clean [except a rub with balled aluminum foil once but it was so thick by then it was a waste of time]. the inside of the egg was great. but all the sludge/crosote melted, ran down the outside of the egg. nothing remained of the gasket but something like melted plastic in a few spots . took forever to clean up and regasket. nuke temps are fine for a steak but not for clean.
    bill
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Marty,

I usually do a high temp clean-out every couple of months depending on the amount of use. Open the bottom vent all they way, light your lump in 3 or 4 places then close the dome and stand back! I really don;t think it's wise to go nuke on ti (1200º+) My large seems to get pretty clean at about 800º for maybe 15 or 20 minutes. I always worry a little bit about loosing the gasket but haven't yet. Knock on wood. Sorry I didn't get back to you on your generous offer to join you at the warehouse. Can I take a rain check? Good luck.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I did it last night at 700 for an hour. also put my daisey wheel on the grid and broke the ear off when I flipped it. everything came out clean and will try to jb weld the ear back on. just glad to have spare parts.
    Pat
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    Nice to hear from you Carey! Let me know when there is a good time for you and we'll take the ride!
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Try at about 600.

Throw on some pizzas so that you do not waste the lump.

They are tasty.

Greg