Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a New Table

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My original Egg table is getting on in years and I'm thinking about building my own this time around to make sure I get what I want (which will likely include space for one or more additional Eggs, too).

One question I have, for those who have done their own, what wood do you suggest using? I see some one the 'net using cypress, but I'm not sanguine about finding that in St. Louis. Is redwood an acceptable wood? Just plain pine?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    The types of wood used is unlimited. That said I would stay away from pressure treated as the potential contact of food and chemicals doesn't sound appealing. Have you seen all the tables on Naked Whiz's site? I have seen some good looking ones there, made from Ipe to redwood.

Good luck with your project.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    Good to see another St. Louis/Southern Illinois Egger on the forum. (I won't ask where you went to high school :) )

Keep us posted on the table. I'm going to embark on either building or buying a table this spring too.

Cheers,

Braddog
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Yeah, I spent most of the night last night looking at them. There are some very nice setups there, but I'm a total dunce at identifying wood species by sight...I think I can ID pine, but that's about it.

I knew about avoiding pressure treated. I was just wondering if there's anything that handles the weather better that isn't going to involve taking out a second mortgage (like teak).
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    High school? Yer a true St. Louisan, Braddog.

I'll keep you up on what I'm doing...what I have is okay, but I can see more Eggs in my future.