Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire King Lump Failure

Options
wannabebackinTexas
wannabebackinTexas Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had very few problems with lump in the past (before I ran out of my Wicked Good Lump and my local BGE Dealer quit carrying BGE lump). Instead of paying huge amounts of cash to have lump shipped here to Idaho, I went on a search and finally thought I had found a solution at my local Cabelas's: they had a good supply of Fire King Lump at a good price. I stocked up on several bags and spent the summer doing quick cooks like steaks, chicken, ribs and such.

The Thanskgiving turkey came within 3 degrees of my target when the fuel was completely gone. Luckily, I transfered the bird to the oven and finished it off without any tragedy. A few weeks later, I loaded up my LBGE for an overnight cook of a couple of pork butts for the Holiday office pot-luck. As my luck would have it, after about 14 hours of cooking, all lump was burned up. Again, the oven in the kitchen saved the day.

This Fire King is good for short cooks. Lights fast, burns hot with little ash. If you need anything longer than about 5 hours, use a different lump.

I'll be driving to Seattle in the spring to pick up a better lump from a BGE dealer out there.

Good eggin'
-paul
;)

Comments