Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Lump Starter Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've seen several threads on firing the lump for the BGE. Several used a MAPP torch. What is the difference between propane gas and MAPP gas besides MAPP is about 3X as expensive. The hardware people tell me the torch will work equally well with either type of cannister. Thanks for everyones help on my various questions and issues.[p]Also can some one give me a link that tells how to upload a pic?

Comments

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I, too, have a question about the MAPP torch.

An EGGer once told me that not all MAPP torches will allow being inverted which is needed to light the lump.

Is this true?

If so, I was in Home Depot yesterday looking at MAPP torches and did not see this feature listed on the box. How do I know which is the right one to get?

Greg
  • Lazydogsaloon
    Options
    I am not sure on the torch question but I use vegetable oil and a paper towel as a started. If you search for oil, paper towel you will find a post by Stike, here is the link I found and it works like a champ

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=281016&catid=1#281016

Lazydog
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Michael Morton,[p]MAPP gas burns hotter than propane. It will light your lump faster.[p]
  • Fidel
    Options
    That is correct that some torches will not work inverted. I have a propane torch that cuts off if I invert it.

I use a weed burner. It costs $20 and runs on a tank of propane like a gas grill would use. One tankful last you long time.

It lights the lump very effectively and evenly and quickly. Either method works, I just like toys.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    ive gone thru a few mapp torches where the inards melted out, i dont use them anymore. harbor freight sells weedburners that attach to the propane tanks used on gas grills. one of those tanks will last just about a lifetime lighting an egg, my torch must be 5 years old now. i bought the one without the internal striker and use a butane match stick to light it. the mapp burns hotter but the weedburner has a huge flame and more btus of heat.
    http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=weedburner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YYZash
    YYZash Posts: 44
    Options
    MAPP gas burns considerably hotter than propane. You will need a torch head rated for MAPP gas to use it, but these torches will work with popane. Don't use a propane torhc with MAPP.

I use MAPP gas to start both BGE and campfires.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Fidel,[p]What is the safest way to get rid of empty MAPP or propane canisters? I just started using mine and I am curious how others dispose of the canisters. (again safely)[p]Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Michael Morton, MAPP canisters burn about 3X (at least) hotter than propane and I've been using one to light my LG, BGE for months (1-2X a week). Usually they sell for about $7.50/ea. I light the lump in 3 different places not too far from the center. This start (about 30 seconds at each spot) usually gives me a good light and I'm go for cooking in an about an hour (when the white smoke dissipates). I have the bottom vent WFO (wide freakin' open) and the dome uncapped until I get a good light, then close the dome (with no cap) until things are going in the right direction (smoke clearing & temperature moderation under control). Good luck with your cooks and post some pix for us to drool over![p]Rascal

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Fidel,

Do you find the weed burner dangerous? I have two small children to worry about.

Also, do they come with a self ignitor??

Greg
  • Fidel
    Options
    I have 2 small children too, and they have received a no-nonsense block of instruction regarding the cooking equipment.

Like anything else capable of shooting out 300,000BTU blue flames - heck yea it's dangerous, but properly managed there should be no worries. My kinds know not to touch it and they stay away when I am lighting the eggs. Sparks can be a concern, especially with some brands of lump - so gloves and eye protection aren't a bad idea.

They make a self-igniting model for another $5 I believe. I would have bought that model but I figure those things always give out over time anyway.

BurnerONSmall.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

That is quite a flame on the weedburner. I have not seen that kind of intensity when using a MAPP torch.

Greg
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Michael Morton,
    I'm sure you have quite a few responses on the new forum. New Forum . As far as posting pictures see link below.

[ul][li]A good Ceramic cooking site.[/ul]
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Just thought I would pipe in and say I use the BGE Electric Starter. Leave it in for 6 mins, and have nuclear temps 11 mins later. Ready to cook in less than 30 mins. This allows me to be on my second beer or third beer. If I could start it any faster, I wouldn't be able to drink as much ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    that weed burner will light the egg better than a mapp torch without even pulling the trigger. and it allows you to stand back from the egg for safety. not saying you wont pull the trigger though, take the dome gage out first, it can ruin the calibration on some gages.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Re: Electric Starter. I have an electric starter. The reason I'm asking about a MAPP torch is that I bought a turbinator from BBQ Guru. I really like the different grate - it gives longer more even burns - but because of the fins on the grate it is more difficult to use the electric starter (can't start in the middle of the lump any longer). Also I think the electric starter is more dangerous than something lit in the egg. The electric starter takes a while to cool and could cause serious injury if touched before it is cooled. Thanks everyone for all your information. I'm now torn between a MAPP and a weedeater.
  • Either mapp gas or the weedburner will do the job. The mapp is more handy, but the "flamenthrower" is more fun.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Michael Morton,[p]You can use any torch made for MAPP on a propane tank.
    Not all propane torches can be used with MAPP.[p]Ask where you buy the cylinders how best to dispose of them in your area.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I use a weed burner on all my cookers, I don't get quite as western as Fidel, but they are the way to go in my book.

I have a couple of new videos on my site, one shows a weed burner in action starting lump. Others show peppers roasted with one. Here is the direct link to that page.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/video-page.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Options
    I don't get quite as western as Fidel

That was a bit of a showoff pic - but it was cool.

i usually don't hit the trigger........usually.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I use a MAPP torch for all of my low-n-slow cooks (and most anything under 350 degrees) since it is easy to light two or three spots and easily adjust the dampers as it comes up to temp.

Everything else I use the big weed burner like Fidel has. That sucker is a fast way to grilling temps or even nuclear where you want all the coals glowing.

I have several eggs and cook at least 3 or 4 days a week. It took me over 9 months to empty the first bottle. That was before I purchased the weed burner (from Harbor Fright) and was used to light all of my cooks. It was even passed around a bit at the last Octoberfest and can be seen in the video being demonstrated by Chubby.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    hit that trigger, mon! :woohoo:

onebone-002.jpg

i don't hit it much either... right! :whistle:
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Michael Morton,
    MAPP gas is liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) mixed with methylacetylene-propadiene. MAPP is the tradename for a product of the Dow Chemical Company. In Australia it is known as RazorGas and is a trademark of ELGAS.[p]The gas is used for welding due to its high combustion temperature of 2927 °C (5301 °F)[citation needed] in oxygen. Although acetylene has a higher welding temperature (3160 °C, 5720 °F)[citation needed], MAPP has the advantage that it requires neither dilution nor special container fillers during transport, allowing a greater volume of welding gas to be transported at the same given weight. Also, MAPP is advantageously used in underwater welding, which requires high gas pressures (under such pressures acetylene transforms explosively to benzene, making it dangerous to use).[p]The gas is also used for brazing and soldering, under combustion in ambient air, where it has considerable advantage over competing propane fuel due to its higher combustion temperature. A typical MAPP gas brazing operation would involve using it to silver braze (sometimes colloquially and inaccurately called silver solder) steel parts together.[p]Plumbers use both MAPP gas and propane for pipe soldering and brazing, but MAPP gas's higher combustion temperature makes such jobs quicker. MAPP gas is also popular among glass lampworkers, for instance glass bead makers.[p]The biggest disadvantage of MAPP gas is cost; it is between two and four times as expensive as propane (depending on quantity, supplier, and bottle size). While nine kilogram propane cylinders are common, the largest MAPP cylinder available in Australia is three kilograms. Additionally, MAPP gas torches often cost more than propane torches, around 3 times as much.[p]MAPP is colorless in both liquid and gas form. The gas has a pronounced garlic or fishy odor at concentrations above 100 ppm and is toxic if inhaled at high concentrations

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Great Video.

It definitely looks a lot more under control there.

Greg