Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite sandwich to date...

Options
Pace Yourself
Pace Yourself Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang,[p]Happy New Year! Also, no pics but I felt like sharing anyway. I have been diligently working through leftovers from New Year's Eve and I managed to come up with the tastiest sandwich I have ever put together.[p]I tried a few new things (for me) and one of them was a 2.5 lb chub of Boar's Head beef bologna. I just scored it all around, spread some yellow mustard on it and covered liberally with Dizzy Dust Coarse. It went on indirect at 250 (along with a few fatties) for 3 hours. I think I used Maple and Cherry chunks but it was New Years and my documentary skills were diminished somewhat so I can't swear to that... (I have a bunch of different wood chunks from Cabella's...great source if you have one close...)[p]
Anyway, one of my guests on New Year's is an old college roommate. One of his contributions to the off-campus experience for us was putting together fried bologna sandwiches. As far as I can remember they consisted of thin sliced bologna, onions, cheese, and fresh white bread.[p]So with that in mind I spent the week putting a smoked spin on an old favorite. In the end here is basically what I came up with:[p]4 oz'ish of thinly sliced smoked bologna
2 oz'ish of thinly sliced white onion
Butter
Favorite rub/Spice mix
Cheddar Cheese
Tabasco Chipotle Sauce[p]
Melt butter in medium sized skillet on med-low. Add onion, Chipotle sauce and liberal dose of spice rub. Sautee until onion is soft, at least 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add a little more butter, a little more Chipotle sauce, and the bologna. Re-heat/"fry" bologna for a few minutes until you get a little color/carmilization on the bologna. Dice up a slice of cheddar or grate it or whatever and add to bologna/onion mixture. Work in pan for 1-2 minutes until cheese starts to melt.[p]Bring mixture to one side of pan and cover with slice of fresh white sandwich bread. Put other slice in pan and allow to brown. Once brown, carefully put it together with a wide spatula. Oh, I also add a little spicy brown mustard (thin layer is plenty) to the sandwich prior to eating.[p]Let it cool/set for a few minutes at least then enjoy. So good, such a happy mouth. If you happen to have any left over chub around (I was thinking that RTD has this on hand at all times!) give this a try. The combination of the spicy onions and the smoky bologna is fantastic![p](I have tried a few different breads and the softer the better. I also tried to spice it way up once (one of the hotter DP rubs and regular Tabasco) and it overpowered the bologna and cheese..)
Cheers,[p]Kevin

Comments

• citychicken
    Options
    ever try braunschweiger with mayo on wonder bread?
    head cheese?
    kiszka?

man oh man do i remember fried baloney samwhiches on wonderbread. they were the bomb. haven't had one in years though.

my momsie's spin on the fried baloney deal:
    she used to buy a pound of baloney from the butcher sometimes from lawson's - thinly sliced. then she would slice it herself perpendicular to the butcher's slices to create postage stamp sized pieces. mix that with beaten eggs, a splash of milk, chopped onions, salt, and pepper and fry that till done. put it on wonderbread with ketchup. oh yeah! the things we ate as a kid. nothing like it.