Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prospective buyer with noob Qs

Options
Mosca
Mosca Posts: 456
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, and thanks for looking!

I consider myself a reasonably skilled griller and BBQer with the gas grill, and I'm thinking of adding natural fire. I'm not partial to one or the other, a good cook can get superior results with anything IMO. But I'm intrigued by the Egg, and I believe I would be very satisfied with what it would add to my tools.

The large Egg would be more than enough for my needs. What does the device come with, and what else would be considered ESSENTIAL for a repertoire of the standard fare; chops/steaks/fowl/fish, briskets and butts, ribs, whole turkeys & chickens? And what would be USEFUL but not essential? I've seen the pizza stones and I am skeptical, but hey; if it can hit 550*, why not?

Cleanup? Care? I'm assuming that the very existence of this forum is a testament to the durability of the item; devotion does not come from thin air.

What about fuel waste? I would assume there is a way to close and restart the fire so that one is not constantly using one's lot of fuel... I've been with gas for over 20 years, so I am completely out of touch with the use and manipulation of natural fire.

And related, what about ease of use? I accept a learning curve; anything worth doing is worth learning. Once you have the hang of it, is it simple and direct?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Essential item would be the plate setter or some other solution to set up true indirect cooks. I also feel a raised grid or grid extender is necessary. If you are a skilled cook you probably have thermometers, meat thermometers, tongs, etc.
    I've seen the pizza stones and I am skeptical, but hey; if it can hit 550*, why not?

It can go double that to 1100*, with ease. Pizza on the egg is second to none. Absolutely fabulous.
    Cleanup? Care?

Just like anything else - scrub your grids and take out the ash every so often. It also works like a self cleaning oven if it gets a little goopy inside.
    What about fuel waste?

Shut the vents and it goes out. Re-light that same charcoal next time you want to cook.
    And related, what about ease of use?

There is a short learning curve. Once you get the hang of it you'll only use your gasser to store your egg accessories.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Once you try it your gasser will become storage for your eggcessaries. It does not take long to get the hang of. Got my first 7 years ago & mt second 2 years ago. With the help of the good people on this forum there's almost nothing you cant cook/grill or smoke on it. Get the basics but you will find yourself adding tools often.
    TAKE THE PLUNGE
    Pat
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Now that is a very good and well thought post. If it were me and it was. I would suggest looking at this link. It should answer a lot of your questions and make you a more informed shopper. I feel certain others will add to this thread, and I also am looking forward to their comments.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Good luck and welcome
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    My son-in-law has a very nice 1k stainless steel Jen Air sitting on his back deck sorta close to our large B G E. It makes a nice storage place for grill light, tools and asst. other stuff. Oh wasp nest . Go for the EGG. Study this forum. These eggers are awesome, and love to help other eggers. miles out
  • Sweathog
    Options
    I am certainly no expert like Fidel, Rick's T.D., et al. However, my lovely bride bought me a large BGE for a wedding present. I got it delivered in early September. If it tells you anything about them...I just bought a second egg, a small. I spend a lot of free time reading and lurking on this board learning from those who know better. This is one of the finest group of people you'll run across. Anyone who knows something about the egg will share their knowledge.

This is what I know so far: essentially everything I cook on it is fantastic. My friends think that I am a great cook and their meals are amongst the best they've had. My wife, who basically lives on her favorite food, salad with deli turkey (go figure), loves my egg food. And honestly, after a very brief learning curve (read the board awhile, watch the DVD) this thing is really easy to use.

If you like to eat -- buy the egg. Buy two eggs. You won't regret it.

Sweathog

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Hey Mike You can post over here now, gee thats great. Hate to see you all wound up and not being able to log in.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    As the owner of a Medium Egg for 5 months and use it at least 3x a week I will awnser a couple questions as a simi newbe. There is no clean up except the metal grill its self and raking out the few bits of ash thats left from a cook. Essential equipment: Well EGG should come with THE EGG, daisy adjustable wheel top and cermantic top. You will also need a table OR Egg nest which is the stand and Egg mate which are the shelves on the side of the Egg. Also need the platesetter to cook indirect. You can get by with fire bricks but the setter is so much easer. Wrap it in foil for no fuss clean up after cook. Thats it for "essentials" The ash tool and rib rack are nice but not nessary. Pizza stone same. To me a remote thermometer is all most essential as it lets you keep track of meat w/o poping the top all the time and loosing heat and moisture. Also a Digiq II from BBQ Gure is a nice luxury. It is a computer controled fan that holds the Egg temp at your desired set point for as long as there is fuel along with some other stuff. The DigiQ is a subject in its self. If you read the Nakedwhiz site complete you will be able to tell most of us things!lol
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Tom,

You'll have a blast learning how to cook on the BGE. Since you already know how you like your food done, you'll spend a lot of time learning how to to do it on the Egg. Then, after reading tons of information from this forum, and from the sites of many of the forum regulars, you'll probably be experimenting in new cuts of meat, new recipes, new cooking techniques.

I've had mine since 10/20, and have just been using the two Webers (kettle, and gasser) as storage for the accessories I use on my LBGE. I'm looking at adding an XL and a Small in the near future.

Best of luck on your decision to take the plunge--you won't regret it!
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    Wow. THAT link... that answered just about everything!

I most appreciated the info about how to use the item on a wooden deck. That is a concern, obviously. I think I need to actually see an egg to see how to implement it.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone for demonstrating their passion!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    "There is a short learning curve. Once you get the hang of it you'll only use your gasser to store your egg accessories."

You mean like this? -RP

IMG_0403Small.jpg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Mike,

Sounds like you got yours at the EGGtoberfest like myself.

Greg
  • Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Nah...I wasn't in Atlanta. I got mine from BBQ Outfitters here in Austin. They will be sponsoring the Texas EggFest in the spring, and that is when I'll be adding the XL. I'm still working on getting a small egg here in the near future.