Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip: slightly simpler method (without searing)

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Usually, when I make tri-tip, I sear it first on both sides for couple of minutes, and then I drop down the dome temperature to 350 for about half an hour. That has always worked well, but it doesn't allow a lot of smoke to get into the meat. I think the searing might seal it a little bit. Also, I've sometimes had trouble adjusting the temperature after a high-temperature sear.[p]So last night, I added several chunks of oak to the fire; each piece was about the size of a candy bar. I stabilized the dome at 300 and put the tri-tips right on the grill for an hour, until the internal temperature came to about 135. The meat was juicy and smoky, without any charring. (Personally, I like charring, but not everybody does, and there is some question about whether charred meat might not be so healthy for you.)[p][Just in case anybody is interested in the marinade and so forth, I first trimmed off as much fat as I possibly could. I then rubbed the meat with a little mustard and sprinkled it with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and Italian herbs. I put the meat in a plastic bag, dribbled in a little Worcestershire sauce and red wine, and put it into the refrigerator for 24 hours.]

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Prof Dan, I have a tri-tip on right now, (costco was out of Lobster tails) cooking @ 300 dome,indirect, raised grate, no drip. Been on 65 min now and internal temp is 120. Shooting for 140-145 in center. (rare)[p]Prep was sliced almost in half (butterfly style)then spread with lots of horseraddish, garlic and some Montreal Steak seasoning, tied with butchers twine. Then rubbed with the Montreal Steak seasoning all over the outside. Let sit for 8 hrs. Smelled so good I wanted to cut me off a chunk raw. Don't worry, I didn't.

I cook these reuglarly on my mobile catering smoker and generally cook for 2 hrs @ 200-225 for internal temp of 145-150 med-rare.[p]Marv

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Yo Marv,[p]Sounds great. Did you use any smoke?
    How'd it turn out?[p]Glad to see ya back![p]WD