Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

heres some chili in cast iron - and me rambling

Options
hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year I decided I wanted to buy a Dutch oven to replace the SS chili pot I was using. I was sold on my Lodge skillets, and thought I should add their classic dutch oven to my collection.
Then I saw Le Creuset, and started reading about enamled cast iron 'French Ovens'.
WOW...these are nice! WOW...these cost a lot!
Months passed and I continued using my $20 ol' steel pot.
Somewhere, I read the name Staub in connection to enamled cast iron, and that it was comparable to Le Creuset.
15 minutes later (staubusa.com) I was in love.
It looks like the old Lodge Ovens from Boy Scout days, but it's enamled, and has a brass knob!
That was it. I told Wendy that if Santa managed to put one of those under the tree, I would be a very good boy for another 5 years.
I wanted black. It's not nearly as pretty as the LC ovens I see on here, but to me that's the charm of the thing.
Once my family is older, and I cook for more people the LC 13 qt will be on my list. I will be enjoying this 8qt Staub as often as possible until then.
Sorry to ramble, I feel like a giddy little kid talking about this thing.

Today I'm giving Paella a rest and cooking up some chili based on Kenny G's recipe. I left out the cinnamon and chocolate, instead adding 3 thick pieces of pig candy, made this morning.
Also, Mrs. Dogs Pepper sauce, and Flying Dog Road Dog Porter.

Happy New Year to all of you and looking forward to more eggfests in 2008. IMG_8386.JPG

Comments