Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lesson Learned

Options
Seethewave
Seethewave Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a new egger, I believe I made a mistake. I have been using a lump charcoal I bought from the Grill Store where I bought my egg. I ran out of that lump, and the grill store was sold out, so I went to the grocery store and bought a different lump charcoal (Natures Valley Mesquite). I found that there were 1 or 2 huge branches, that I tried to break up, and the majority of the bag were tiny pieces. I used the new coal for my first low and slow. I had a difficult time getting it and keeping it at temp. After I stabalized for about an hour, I went to bed. I checked it after about 5 hours and found the coals were out and the grill was cold. I lost a $14 butt but learned bigger lesson. My guess is that all of the small pieces clogged the air holes. Also, the lump I was using before was charcoal from mills. Does anyone have any preference whether they use charcoal from mills or natural wood?
Thanks

Comments