Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My salmon steak Ö

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's getting better. Ended up coating the salmon steak (it was about 3/4 of an inch thick) with a little lemon juice,oregano,lemon pepper,black pepper and parsley. I also sliced up a zucchini squash, coated it with a mixture of olive oil, pepper and oregano, wrapped in foil with a couple of toothpick holes poked through it.[p]Cooked the salmon (I also gave it a light coat of the olive oil mixture that was leftover from the squash) for about 30 min. at 350° direct, one flip in-between. The squash was cooked for about 20 min., left it in the foil till the fish was done. The skin was very easy to peel from the outside of the steak, bones were somewhat of a problem as I am not used to them. It was quite good, not fishy tasting, very tender and moist, I almost wonder if I should have cooked it a little longer? I found the steak easier to cook then the fillet because of the thickness and firmer structure do to the bone in it.
Thanks for all the help from the forum, I may be able to eat some fish after all. ÜÜÜ
Happy Egg-n,
New Bob (did not have to throw this one out, what a change) Ö

Comments

• New Bob,
    Over cooking is the normal problem, sounds like you hit it!
    You may want to try cedar or alder plank salmon for a new challenge.
    Jim

• Jim Minion,
    Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what do you mean for alder palnk or cedar plank salmon?
    Got a link for a recipe for me?
    Is this an egg-specific technique or does it also work on an offset or a WSM?
    I'd love to hear about it.
    Henry Joe Peterson[p]

• Henry Joe Peterson,
    This can be done on any smoker or grill, I believe CW use to post about the method for cooking on cermanics.
    A Google search under cedar plank will bring up a lot of good hits on techinque and where to find or how to make planks.
    The fish will take on some of the flavor from the oils of the plank. Indians from the Pacific NW where using planks of cedar or alder for centuries.
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Here is a little bit of info in the new recipes section. I've been meaning to try that! Hope the weather is fine on the opposite coast.
    Beers
    NB

[ul][li]Salmon on a plank[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    You know it's been sunny all week and today and for the rest of the weekend we have rain, but that's normal cookn' weather out here.
    We have a resturant that does cedar plank out here but unlike most recipes they put the flesh on the plank, so it takes on some to the cedar flavor. The techinques is not for everyone but it's an interesting change.
    Jim

• char buddy
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Congrats on your salmon. sounds like it was tasty.[p]If you have a very quick read thermometer, poke it into the salmon at the thickest part. A temp of 150º internal will yield a flaky, but still moist salmon. Take it lower or higher to perfect the doneness that suits you.[p]CB
  • Basselope
    Options
    Here is what I have done many times on my Weber, haven't tried it on the egg yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work great.
    Go to Home Despot and buy a cedar fence board. (It goes without saying that you want one without any coating). Saw into lengths that will fit into your cooker.
    Buy a filet of salmon with the skin ON that fits on the sawed up plank.
    Soak the board for about 30 minutes submerged in water. (I fill up the sink and place a weight on the board)
    Pull the board out of the water and place salmon on it. Season to taste (I use a cajun rub)
    Start egg, direct fire 500-600
    Place plank on grid and check in 10-12 minutes.
    Fish is done when flakey (or the other post about 150 internal sounds about right)
    When removing the plank the bottom will be chared, and must be placed on a heat proof, non-flamable surface.
    YOu can also buy fancy cedar planks from BBQ galore for about 10 times what you will pay from HD or Lowes.