Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough from scratch First time

Options
HungryMan
HungryMan Posts: 3,470
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made the dough from scratch. Kinda winged it on this one. It came out better than Publix's and stretched better. I made dough from pizza-secrets also. That has to sit for a few days.
DSC_0053-1.jpg

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    HungryMan,[p]That's a good looking Za. I'm so impressed with the home made dough. I don't think I'll ever go back to store bought. How did the girls like it?[p]Mike
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Very nice Al.

I love making pizza on my egg.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    HungryMan,[p]That is a good looking pizza.[p]I finally tried pizza for the first time today. The wife picked up some sourdough dough from Publix, as they were out of the pizza dough. It was a little difficult to stretch and manage.[p]The end product was actually very good and my 3 year old really liked the making of the pizza.[p]I did not have a pizza paddle so I used parchment paper. Any recommendations? I would prefer to have something that did not take a lot of space.[p]Also, it allowed me to clean my placesetter and the inside of my EGG. I just rubbed down the loose stuff with a aluminum foil ball.[p]The main problem was cooking in the rain here in the ATL. However, the EGG had no problems getting up to and keeping 600 degrees in a December rain.[p]Greg
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's a fine looking pizza, Al. Life is sweeter when you do things like this yourself......

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    HungryMan,
    You can't be in Atlanta if you have rain! :o) -RP

• HungryMan
    Options
    egret,
    I guess it's the challange. Now I will have fun perfecting it.

• HungryMan
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    A cookie sheet will work also. I bought a pizza screen and peel. I like making the pizza on a screen. You make it the right size, and put it on the stone. after it cooks a while I take it off the screen and finish it on the stone. Parchment seems to be used a lot. I like the Idea of it cooking directly with the stone.

• HungryMan
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    I made two. They were all gone. I can't wait to see how the dough comes out from pizza secrets. They use less yeast and call for it to be in the refrig for at least two days to age the dough.

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I've always done pizza dough from scratch and I've never had any problems with it. I use water, yeast, salt, sugar, olive oil and flour. I've also done it with sourdough starter instead of yeast, but it takes a lot longer to rise. IMHO Pizza dough is one of the simplest breads to make.

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    HungryMan,
    Let us know how they come out. I would do dough that way but I'm not that patient.[p]Mike

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Definitely, it never rains in Atlanta.... except when I am cooking on the EGG.[p]It rained for both my Mad Max Turkeys (Thanksgiving and Christmas), some ribs cooks, and my first pizza cook. I just got the EGG at the Eggtoberfest.[p]Good 'ole Sonny has been calling to make sure that I will be using my Egg in 2008.[p]Greg