Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TRex Strip Steaks!

Mike-RR
Mike-RR Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I couldn't pass these by: some prime strip steaks on sale at H.E.B.

Here they are post-sear:
IMG_9227.jpg

Here is the finished product. They turned out medium, which a bit more done than what I prefer, but the whole family was able to enjoy them.

IMG_9231.jpg

Used some Montreal seasoning pre-sear, and some salt-free cajun stuff post-sear for the roast.

Happy Egging!

Comments

• I did some middlin'-quality steaks TRex style last night and the family raved about them, too. Like yours, they turned out a little more to the medium as opposed to medium-rare, but they still tasted great.

TRex, you da man.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    BEAUTIFUL sear marks!!

How long did you go on the roast period? Just curious. It takes some playing around to get it right, and every piece of meat seems to be slightly different - learn the palm push method if you haven't already - it's pretty reliable for me, and of course there's the trusty Thermopen.

Very nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

TRex
  • dwtdc
    dwtdc Posts: 35
    That is one good looking steak!
  • Mike-RR
    Hehe...funny you should ask. I had to reference NW's site for your instructions on how long to cook a thick steak like that. Six minutes per side, to be exact, and I did that with a Polder timer.

The family members are not fond of a mid-rare steak, although they'll eat it if I serve it to them. The medium just seems to disappear from their plates quicker.

The sear marks are courtesy of the cast iron grate. Here is a pic of the grate from two days ago when I did some ribeyes:

IMG_9215.jpg

I really prefer that for the higher temp cooks.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Another beautiful picture, Mike. Great stuff.

TRex
  • Mike-RR
    Thanks! I was an old Weber gas/kettle user until late October, at which point I've been experimenting with different techniques to cook the food I once did on the other grills.

Cooking steaks using this method takes longer (due primarily to the required rest period) but the results are well worth the wait.

Official instructions after the jump:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
  • BeanieBean: GREAT LOOKING STEAKS! Picked a Rib Eye up at HEB for the wife and we will cook it sometime this week, Just got back from the best Sushi Place I have ever eaten at. Company Holiday dinner. If you like Sushi at all, it is out past lakeway in the Loman's Crossing Shopping Center. It was called Mizo. Check it out if you get a chance Mike.
  • Mike-RR
    Thanks, Jack. They didn't last long, either :)
  • Mike-RR
    Mike,

Keep an eye on the "sell by" date on the steak, unless you threw it in the freezer already. Sometimes their dates are pretty close to the time when you buy the meat.

Sushi? Oh yeah...anytime, my friend. Perhaps one day we can go to Tokyo Steak House, or Korea House. They're not too bad. I'll have to research the place you mentioned, because it seems to be pretty far from Round Rock.

Have a great evening!
  • Mike-RR
    I'm in the minority, and since most of the family likes it done a bit more, I usually have to cook to their liking.

One day, they will be old enough to cook on their own... :)