Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon steak

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K., don't laugh, old new bob is going to try the salmon thing again.Ü My market just happen to have salmon steaks so I picked up 1 piece, about 1/2 lb. How should I cook it, hot and fast??????
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I like medium hot and medium fast: 400-425 degree dome - direct, and around 4-5 minutes per side. Do you like salmon cooked well done (all the way through), or can you tolerate it medium/medium rare? If you can't tolerate it medium (fleshy pink inside the pink), then be careful not to burn it, before it cooks through. That may take a couple minute dwell at the end, if the fire spikes up on you, and you sense it starting to burn.[p]Also, do you have a fish basket? Those are really handy for flipping the salmon over with...and would remove the need to dwell, as you could just keep flipping it every couple of minutes. It is a bit more difficult to detect doneness in one of those baskets, however.[p]For preperation, I like lots of lemon juice, a bit of salt, and maybe some pepper. The sugar in the lemon juice will carmelize on the outside, and the acidity will actually start cooking the outside of the salmon, further promoting a medium/medium rare cook. Of course garlic would be good too.[p]Good luck. [p]--sdb
  • New Bob, I prefer 325° indirect using a couple bricks as deflectors with a drip pan with a little water for about 40 minutes. As for seasoning and marinades check the recipe section and the submitted recipes and you'll find something to surely tickle you!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Thanks, prefer it cooked well,(i think). No basket so will just use two spatulas to flip. I think this has skin on it, do you eat that or not???? Sure can tell what i know about fish.
    New Bob

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Are these steaks (i.e., cross-sectional slices of the salmon) or fillets, which are longitudinal slices? It affects the cooking time.[p]Another important variable is the thickness. For example, if I'm cooking a salmon fillet that's about an inch thick, I do it at 250 degrees for 30 minutes, with oak chips. A thicker fillet (such as an inch and a half) might take 45 minutes at that temperature.[p]Whether cooking steaks or fillets, you probably would want a fine-mesh grid on top of the regular grid, just so the fish doesn't fall through. Often, I put down green onion or orange slices onto the grid, so that the fish doesn't stick to it.[p]Salmon is worth experimenting with. Once you get this down, it's really easy, and the results are spectacular.[p]By the way, just before cooking, I sprinkle on a little soy sauce and season salt. That's it; no need to do a big marinade.[p]Good luck!
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I don't eat the skin. On a salmon filet I remove the skin (cut it off) before cooking. On a salmon steak I cook with the skin on, and just eat around it. [p]And of course, Prof Dan cooks his completely different from myself. I think that goes to show that there really is a lot of room for error/improvement with salmon. And since you like it cooked well, a lower temp may get the job done more easily.[p]Enjoy![p]--sbd