Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Egg experience

Seethewave
Seethewave Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made my first post yesterday asking for recommendations on what I should cook on my egg first. After reading through all of the posts, I did take Big'un's advice and work with temp control. My only problem was the length of time it took to get down to 225 from 450. Any hints on that? After learning, I did cook a bounty of food for lunch. Chicken Kabobs, a Hamburger (Chuck), and a Ribeye. I just so happen had all of that in the fridge. I did let the grill cool down before bringing it up to temp for the Ribeye. It seems to sealed perfectly. From there I put on 8lbs of center cut pork loin for a few hours. It was the best I have ever cooked. I will be trying spatchcocked chicken today. Followed by a pork butt. After reading through all of the posts, I have learned that if I don't post pictures, it didn't happen. So, I will be taking pics.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Comments

• Seethewave,
    Wow! You were busy! It is often difficult to get the temp down from 450 to 225 or so. The reason is that the ceramic heats up fairly quickly and then retains that heat. The answer is not to put yourself in that position to begin with. Sneak up on your temps and then damp it down.[p]I noticed you did a pork loin. That's one of my favorites. I usually do it at about 275 for as long as it takes to get to 140. Then I jack up the temp and sear the outside. Oh yeah, use lots of smoke.[p]Anyway, have fun with your next cooks.[p]Paul

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Seethewave,[p]Wow, don't hold back now, lol! That sounds like a wonderful first day of Egging - congratulations! Good luck with the chicken and butt - can't wait to see some pics![p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Essex County,
    That makes perfect sense. I thought maybe I could lift the lid and let it cool, but that caused the fire to burn hotter. So I just let it drift down.
    I cooked my pork loin @ 325 with medium smoke until 145. Although I think it would work better at a lower temp.
    Thanks for the help

• Seethewave, Yikes! I thought I was the EagerEgger and then I read how much you cooked in one session. Glad to hear you going to post some pictures and welsome to the group.
    Mike
    Round Rock, TX

• Seethewave,[p]That's the first Egg lesson. Opening the top does not cool it off! It's a change of mind set from using a gasser.[p]Come to think of it, the fist lesson it to burp the egg! Looks like you are off to a great start!
  • Seethewave,[p]Sounds like you were a little busy yesterday. I hope everything tasted better than you expected? [p]As far as comming down from temp is concerned, the others gave some good advice. There are some times when you have to though. In this case try to get up to the higher as fast as you can and lower it as fast as you can. The shorter you are in this nuke temp area the less residual heat you are going to have to get rid of. I have been up to 1000 and down to 400 in 20 min. Mind you I was up to 1000 with the dome open. Only realized I was that hot after closing the lid.[p]Good luck. Keep playing with your new toy. Enjoy the time spent making good food for your family. Post pictures as often as you'd like.[p]Mike[p]
    P.S.[p]Steak009.jpg

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Seethewave,[p]Nice list of stuff for Day #1. Look forward to hearing about your next one.[p]-Mike[p]
  • Seethewave,
    Sounds awesome. I am starting my first egg project tonight. Doing a 9 and 1/2 lb. pork butt. Last night I just did a dry run to see how well I could hold the temperature. Awesome device!

• JakeRPA,
    Good luck with your butt. I'll be trying my first one tonight as well.

• Seethewave,
    The funny thing is that this behavior can go on for a very long time. Over a year and a half for me...[p]Ed