Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Cuts Change Color

Options
Little Joe
Little Joe Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my LBGE two weeks ago and am having a great time! Today did a 13# bone in Standing Rib Roast...started slow, brought up to 350* after about 1 1/2 hours. Got to 135* on my meat themometer in only 4 hrs...surprised me. When I carved it, it looked perfect -- medium rare. The meat quickly turned grey and appeared dry. Any feedback on this? Did I cook it too long? Do you carve only what you serve?

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Little Joe,[p]Sounds like you over-did it a bit. If you were shooting for rare/ med rare then pulling it at around 120-125 would have done it. The meat probably kept on cooking after you pulled it, and the bit of pink you saw was what was left of your juices (blood) before they ran out and left you with the overdone meat.[p]I've done the same thing more than once... but it can't be any worse than the nasty prime rib that I had tonight that must have been cooked to at least 160. sawsust...ewwww... ;)
  • Little Joe,
    A roast, just like a butt retains heat for quite a while and will continue to cook itself. I do a couple of things that help. First, I do exactly the same thing that AlaskanC does by pulling the roast off at 120-125 degrees. The other thing I do is bring the egg temp down to 275 once the roast reaches 100 degrees. The inside of the roast is cooked by the heat in the outer part of it which is affected by the egg temp. If the outside part of your roast is hotter it will cook the inside faster.

• Little Joe
    Options
    nutcase, thanks to both of you...makes sense. It was likely just a bit too done.

• Love Handles
    Options
    Little Joe,
    I made a 19# rib roast on the egg, cooking it till it got to 100*, then took it to my mother in laws house to finish it up. It went up 10* in the 15 min trip to her house. It was wrapped in foil on the way over there. I had to finish it up on her GASSER!!!--What a pain that was. It kept catching on fire, so I had to keep taking it off, putting it on, etc, etc. But--It all turned out well and was one of the most all over medium rare ones I've ever done.
    See-Yaa