Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18.44 lb Fresh pork leg @ 18 hrs

T-Que
T-Que Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I posted enough questions about this so I thought I would show the progress and ask one last question. I put an 18.44lb Fresh Pork Leg on my Large BGE at 4:30pm Saturday. The attached pic is that Leg at 18 hrs @ 215 degrees.
FreshPorkLeg18hrs.jpg[p]It is is now 8:20pm almost 28 hours and one reload of lump later and I am still sitting at 161 degrees. It has plateaued and has been within 156 - 160 since 7:00am. I have increased pit temp on the DigiQ-II to 225 degrees in the hopes of getting it to 195 by midnight.
Any thoughts or ideas??[p]BTW, the DigiQ is solid and has been worth every penny on this cook alone! Thanks Fred![p]thx,
T-Que

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    T-Que,
    You said you increased the pit temp to 225, I would have had it at 250 for the entire cook. -RP

• T-Que,
    I have two butts on right now that weigh 18 lbs total. I have moved my ET-73 probe from the dome to the grid level and found with a dome of 250 I was only 195 at the grate. It would have been very hard for me to get the butts to 200 with an actual cooking temp of 195. See where I'm going. I noticed you have your probe clipped to the dome thermo. Might want to relocate and definetly bump up the temp to 250 at least.

• T-Que
    Mike in Abita,
    Thanks to both you and AZRP for the responses. Since it was unanimous I pushed the pit temp to 250. However, Mike, it is interesting that you moved your probe from the dome thermo to the grill and you went from 250 to 195, down 55 degrees. I moved mine as well and the temp went from 225 to 233, up 8 degrees. Do you have any idea why yours would go down and mine up and by such a large variation? [p]Either way I am at pit temp of 250 now and would like to wrap this up get some sleep and just reheat tomorrow. I have a Christmas open house at my house at 3:00pm and still have to cook a turkey. [p]BTW, one more question if you nave a minute, I plan on taking this pork leg off and refrigerating it tonight. Then warming it up slowly, maybe 200-225 degrees double-wrapped in foil and sprayed with apple juice, on my Medium BGE tomorrow and cooking a turkey on the large. Does this sound like the best plan or do you have some ideas on this?[p]Thanks,
    T-Que

• T-Que,
    I am cooking on an XL. I thought it was odd also, before I started, I made sure all three probes measured 212 in boiling water. I think the location of my probe might have been my cause of variation. I repositioned the meat and now temps are within 2 deg different. After I replied to yours I went and checked on mine. This is when I noticed my probe was within a half inch of the meat. Little thin wire through the thermometer hole will let you know clearance. Meat shielded probe from actual temp. All is well now. [p]Sounds like a very good idea on the re-heating.

• T-Que
    Mike in Abita,
    Cool, thanks for all the help! About to take mine off at 170. Spray, wrap and hope it hits 195 quickly.
    thanks again and Merry Christmas.
    T-Que