Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need an AWESOME Christmas Starter Dish

Wingman
Wingman Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing Christmas lunch/late lunch at my place for about 20. I'll probably end up doing a Boneless rib roast searing on the egg and then cooking to temp in the stove.[p]What would be a killer pass around or two. I do make great crispy wings (hence the name) but I need something more upscale. I have not done the stuffed peppers everyone talks about, those sound good, but what would you recommend?
Matt

Comments

• wingman,
    Don't people do skewered shrimps around here?[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    wingman, this is a simple one that we stole from a party Jerky Junkie threw.
    Apple Blue Cheese Pizza Appetizer
    4 oz crumbled blue cheese
    8 oz pizza cheese
    5 naan flatbreads (can use small pizza crusts as well)
    1 apple - chopped, shredded or julienned
    1-2 oz olive oil

1 Combine the shredded apple, blue cheese and a bit of olive oil in a bowl.
    2 Lay the flatbreads on a cookie sheet and cover lightly with olive oil.
    3 Cover each flatbread with a covering of pizza cheese.
    4 Divide the blue cheese and apple mixture amongt the five flatbreads and spread as evenly as possible.
    5 Cook on the EGG at 450°F for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool and then slice into one inch pieces.

[p]

• vinnys-002.jpg
    <p />dover_gal,
    i used to use the bamboo skewers, but this holy wok and the grill toppers save a lot of skewering labor.[p]vinnysbeeftenderloin-017.jpg[p]sfdporkbutt-142.jpg

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    wingman,
    i vote for shrimp, tequila/lime [margahrita] shrimp?
    quick easy goes with beef lets you spend more time with your guests. asparagus as well and at the same time .

• scampi5.jpg
    <p />wingman,
    I agree with bill somewhat, scampi served on a sizzling platter. Shrimp is like Corvettes, they never go out of style.
    Next choice would be procuitto wrapped scallops.[p]Mike

• wingman,[p]This is awesome. I like to top with Mango chutney or Praline Pecan sauce.[p]Appetizer, Cheese, Brie, Maple-Planked, W/Garlic & Roasted Pepper, Chubby

Next is a picture of the Brie with pepper mixture topping on a cedar plank that Chubby and Anne did. This is just before it went on the egg. I wasn't able to get a picture of the finished product because I was laughing too hard watching Chubby try and put out the fire (the cedar plank caught fire and made for some exciting moments). The finished product was very good though.

[p]1 Maple Plank, Soaked (at least 4 hours)
    2 1/4 Lb. Each Brie, Small Wheels
    Olive Oil
    6-8 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
    2 Green Onions, Finely Chopped
    1 Pepper, Bell, Red, Roasted, Peeled, Seeded & Finely Chopped
    2 Tbs Thyme, Fresh, Chopped
    2 Tbs Vinegar, Balsamic
    Salt & Pepper To Taste

*********HAVE FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON STANDBY!!**********
    1 Preheat BGE to 400°F. dome. Scrape rind off top of each wheel of brie to expose cheese and set aside.
    2 Heat olive oil in sauté pan (or cast iron skillet) and add garlic, cooking until softened but not browned. Add green onions, peppers, thyme, vinegar and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and salt & pepper to taste.
    3 Place the maple plank on direct grill and listen for it to “pop” (about 8-10 minutes). Divide pepper mixture evenly on top of brie wheels and place on plank. Close lid and bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese begins to melt (or plank catches fire as in Chubby’s case). Serve with slices of crusty bread or crudites.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Ann Tabor (“Chubby’s Chic”)[p]Source: Florida Eggfest '06, Chubby’s Chic

[p]

• Richard Fl,
    Chubby had a very good day that weekend, he personally seasoned a slab of my ribs as well. But him catching something on fire, gosh, that rarely happens. NOT. LOL[p]Mike

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 103
    wingman,
    Sticking with the shrimp theme....mix some fresh chopped herbs and minced garlic with goat cheese, season with salt and pepper. Peel, devein, and butterfly some medium-large (say 11-15 or 16-20) shrimp. Stuff shrimp with goat cheese mixture, wrap with a thin slice of prociutto to keep it all together. Sprinkle with a bit of rub, and grill until done. I like to drizzle them with a bit of melted habanero pepper jelly at service. You can do the same preparation but stuff with lump backfin crabmeat (bind it with some mayo and season it) instead of goat cheese.[p]Good luck.[p]Matt

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    wingman,
    i like to relax more at xmas, my job is usally the meat and stuffing and i get others to do the peeling etc for the other dishes, its good that some in the family like to get involved. our best appetizer doesnt come from the egg, it comes from a hot oil fondue pot and a pile of raw shrimp and scollops and some cooked lobster set on ice. set it near the drinks and let everyone fry their own while talking and drinking. upscale yet informal

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Hey Rick! Where do you get those grilltoppers? do you re-use them or are they a one-time thing?

• Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    wingman, try this one:[p]Drunken Spicy Shameless Shrimp[p]2 bottles of your favorite beer
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    2 cups water
    2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
    2 pounds large shrimp uncooked tail on
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning[p]Pour the beer, vinegar, and water into a saucepan. Add the old Bay seasoning, cover and blast up the heat. When boiling rapidly, add the shrimp. Cover again and cook for TWO minutes. Drain the shrimp in a colander and cover with a layer of ice to chill them down enough to stop cooking. Throw the shrimp into a large zip lock bag and add the garlic and Creole Seasoning. Toss around until liberally coated. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce….I like mine with a little habanero BBQ sauce.[p]From the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook

• Herm,
    i got them at meijers. i've reused them before, but i don't have a dishwasher, so it's kind of a bear to wash them by hand... there's a few places online that sell them... do a search for "oscarware grill topper".

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]I get the round or rectangular at Wally World for $.94 each. Do have a dish washer and they last 4-5 cooks, depending on what is cooked. Happy Holidays!
  • Richard Fl,
    do they have them year round?

• Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]i usually grab 8-10 at a time and have not noticed. Will check for you this week. Happy Holidays.

• Richard Fl,
    A bottle of bronco bill's raspberry chipolte on the brie is also a nice appetizer.

• Richard Fl,
    now that you mention it, i think i saw some there when i was searching for lump. i bought a whole lot at meijiers when they had their 'end of bbq season' blowout sale....[p]i've started to wash them cause my supply is gettin low.[p]best thing about these is they are made in the usa from recycled aluminum, and they can be recycled again

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Thanks for the info. I'll search around.
    Happy Holidays!