Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody tried a standing rib roast on the egg? If so, could you please give me some suggestions. I'm going to do one for Christmas and would like to hear of others experiences.

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Martini Man,
    Go to the Naked WHiz site and look for Mad Max Prime Rib in the recipes section.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    Options
    Martini Man,
    I too will do a 5 bone roast. Going to put my own rub on the roast after sear, (garlic and horseradish paste with some herbs not decided on yet. I promise when it is cut, red will run. [p]MC Jerry

• vinnysprimerib-020.jpg
    <p />Martini Man,
    i was the first person to try it.[p]here's a shot of the standing, standing rib roasts.......[p]sorry, couldn't help myself

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Martini Man,
    Did a 5 pounder last night. Turned out very nice. Tried an alternative method, in that I seared it in the end. Worked fine, other than the butchers twine burned on me, and it wanted to fall apart a bit... no accidents though. [p]I made a wet rub/paste with olive oil, lotsa fresh garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, parsley, chopped onions, and spread this on the roast. I have a mini food processor I use. Then I mixed up some yellow mustard and Pickapeppa sauce and brushed that on. [p]The roast had sat 3 days in a glass dish in the refrig, covered with a napkin, drying. It was cold (should have been room temp) when I started prepping it. It only had about an hour on the counter with the rub on it before it hit the grill. [p]Cooking time should be about 30 minutes per pound at 250°. I cooked it indirect in a preheated egg, in a pan that had a bit of red wine, water, onions, garlic, rosemary, and a little celery in it. I didn't use any smoking woods, as my wife can't deal with the smoke... too bad.[p]When it hit 125°, I took it out of the egg and sealed it with foil, in the pan, while I cranked up the egg to sear it. When the egg was hot enough, I seared it nicely on all sides, then back into the sealed pan to rest.[p]The end product worked. The internal temp was right on 135° with the Termapen, nice red/pink color, nice crust... and I have leftovers for tonight![p]Mike in MN

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Glad to see someone finally tried to cook a standing rib roast on an egg......who knows what may be next....burgers, steaks, maybe even salmon...there's a whole world out there for us to "RE" discover..[p]Wess